If we fail to achieve CL qualification this season...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Doeboy » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:48 am

red till i die!! » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:27 pm wrote:I don't think anyone wants him gone but some are frustrated with certain aspects of his management this season. I think that's acceptable and par for the course in fairness.

Only real thing i-m frustrated with when it comes to our management is the lack of any real improvement in our defensive game this season. Lack of the right personnel is part of it however not fully convinced its the only reason for our defensive issues.

If we miss out on CL, it will have been a poor season in my eyes and the spotlight will firmly be on Klopp next season and we see more people question the substance behind his affable personality.

I think we will get CL personally as think Utd and Arsenal will drop their fair share of points and we will get over the line in the end
Doeboy

Postby Boocity » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:40 am

Doeboy » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:48 am wrote:
red till i die!! » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:27 pm wrote:I don't think anyone wants him gone but some are frustrated with certain aspects of his management this season. I think that's acceptable and par for the course in fairness.

Only real thing i-m frustrated with when it comes to our management is the lack of any real improvement in our defensive game this season. Lack of the right personnel is part of it however not fully convinced its the only reason for our defensive issues.

If we miss out on CL, it will have been a poor season in my eyes and the spotlight will firmly be on Klopp next season and we see more people question the substance behind his affable personality.

I think we will get CL personally as think Utd and Arsenal will drop their fair share of points and we will get over the line in the end

I agree, Utd will not win all their games, we just cannot afford anymore slipups
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:51 pm

I think we've overachieved so far this season and a huge amount of credit has to go Klopp's way. Its 50/50 for me whether we make top4 this season. That said, I dont think us missing out would be down to our defense. If anything, it would be down to our attacking and our over reliance on Mane offering width, and runs without the ball.

Where we've mostly struggled this season imo is the games where we've had to change the gameplan mid-game to try to break down defenses. Klopp doesnt have the personnel and he's judged quite a few situations wrong, costing us points thatcould eventually see us miss out on top4. The Crystal Palace game being the last example. We lacked width and instead of adjusting our gameplan to attack better we decided to try to add more bodies in the middle of the park to slow our play down even more.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Doeboy » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:53 pm

aCe' » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:51 pm wrote:I think we've overachieved so far this season and a huge amount of credit has to go Klopp's way. Its 50/50 for me whether we make top4 this season. That said, I dont think us missing out would be down to our defense. If anything, it would be down to our attacking and our over reliance on Mane offering width, and runs without the ball.

Where we've mostly struggled this season imo is the games where we've had to change the gameplan mid-game to try to break down defenses. Klopp doesnt have the personnel and he's judged quite a few situations wrong, costing us points thatcould eventually see us miss out on top4. The Crystal Palace game being the last example. We lacked width and instead of adjusting our gameplan to attack better we decided to try to add more bodies in the middle of the park to slow our play down even more.

Can't agree with that. I know we have played more games than the other teams (for example,Arsenal, who by their standards are having a poor season have let in 40 and have played 2 games less than us) but we have conceded 42 goals so far. The only 2 teams to have conceded more than us in the top 10 are Southampton and Watford. That is a real problem.

Last few season we have conceded in and around the 50 goals a season. Apart from maybe a one off, you just can't build consistent success on a record like that. Over a course of a season, defensive frailties will catch up with you and undermine any attacking prowess down the other side of the field.
Doeboy

Postby parchpea » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:39 pm

If we fail you wonder what state of mind Klopp will be in, another capitulation on his watch and funds required to make real change against colossal competition unavailable, things where much simpler at Dortmund.

I like to speak honestly and why not its a forum for opinion, I feel Klopps done a decent job but not qualifying should put him under much greater pressure, maybe he needs that to drive him.

If he does bring home the bacon then every credit but we cant stop there, Klopp must influence FSG and ensure we get our targets with much more ambition shown than the last time we qualified. Having got there on a fairly limited budget we have to buy to protect that top 4 berth with investment, otherwise why bother trying to qualify at all.

Next few weeks are massive for Liverpool, and bigger still for FSG and Klopp wth our dreams in their hands.

27 years and counting  :blush:
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Doeboy » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:48 pm

parchpea » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:39 pm wrote:If we fail you wonder what state of mind Klopp will be in, another capitulation on his watch and funds required to make real change against colossal competition unavailable, things where much simpler at Dortmund.

I like to speak honestly and why not its a forum for opinion, I feel Klopps done a decent job but not qualifying should put him under much greater pressure, maybe he needs that to drive him.

If he does bring home the bacon then every credit but we cant stop there, Klopp must influence FSG and ensure we get our targets with much more ambition shown than the last time we qualified. Having got there on a fairly limited budget we have to buy to protect that top 4 berth wth investment and frankly if we dont whats the point of qualifying.

Next few weeks are massive for Liverpool, and those that follow bigger still for FSG and Klopp, our dreams in their hands.

If we miss out, Klopp will be fine imo but I do believe he will be under real scrutiny next year both by FSG and the fans. We shouldn't forget there has been a lot to like about this season, some of our attacking play has been breathtaking, however we need something to show for it and show we are progressing and that is a CL place. Step up is geting into the CL and competing with the big boys. If we miss out and end up in the Europa, it will have been a poor season imo and klopp will be under real pressure to deliver next season while contending with ***** Thursday euro fixtures and also missing out on our primary targets in the summer due to lack of CL, so it sets us back quite a bit. I'm confident we will make it but next 4 games are all must wins for me now
Doeboy

Postby aCe' » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:29 pm

Doeboy » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:53 pm wrote:
aCe' » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:51 pm wrote:I think we've overachieved so far this season and a huge amount of credit has to go Klopp's way. Its 50/50 for me whether we make top4 this season. That said, I dont think us missing out would be down to our defense. If anything, it would be down to our attacking and our over reliance on Mane offering width, and runs without the ball.

Can't agree with that. I know we have played more games than the other teams (for example,Arsenal, who by their standards are having a poor season have let in 40 and have played 2 games less than us) but we have conceded 42 goals so far. The only 2 teams to have conceded more than us in the top 10 are Southampton and Watford. That is a real problem.

Last few season we have conceded in and around the 50 goals a season. Apart from maybe a one off, you just can't build consistent success on a record like that. Over a course of a season, defensive frailties will catch up with you and undermine any attacking prowess down the other side of the field.

If points were distributed based on clean sheets and defensive record you'd have a more valid point. As things stand, Utd conceded 20 fewer goals and sit 2 places behind. The reason for that is our system of play and philosophy. It comes with scoring more goals and conceding more. We've done well defensively against the better sides, mostly struggled (down both ends) in games where we weren't able to break down defensive opposition.  We obviously need to defend better, but looking at this season alone, trying to analyze the games where we dropped points we shouldn't have, I'd say having another top attacking player coming off the bench or replacing an injured player would have done us way more good than having a world class defender.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:12 am

Our need for a WC defender is glaringly obvious and is a huge priority. Our lack of clean sheets is a joke and we will never be successful unless we address this issue. To think of all the silly errors by defenders/goalies that led to goals and ultimately changed games that could have been reduced if we had WC defenders/goalie  is frustrating. Defending killed our chances this season, nothing else!

None of the top 10 have defended as amateurishly as we have and it is only our attackers that have kept us in it. Don't change the system just the personel. Even a 20% improvement in our goals conceded tally would have us challenging and WC defenders/goalie would easily have done that this season.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:52 pm

aCe' » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:51 pm wrote:I think we've overachieved so far this season and a huge amount of credit has to go Klopp's way. Its 50/50 for me whether we make top4 this season. That said, I dont think us missing out would be down to our defense. If anything, it would be down to our attacking and our over reliance on Mane offering width, and runs without the ball.

Despite what you think our defence has an awful lot to answer for this season. Did you even watch the Palace game because the way I see it is that we completely controlled that game and managed to get ourselves 1 up before our defence cost us 2 goals and it isn't the first time either.
We have conceded from 17 set pieces this season which is the worst of any team in the league despite the fact that we have outscored everyone in the same league. You must have a really short memory Ace.
Surely top 4 was the basic required this season ? at least it was back in august when everyone on here was expecting it due to us having no European commitments.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Doeboy » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:37 pm

red till i die!! » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:52 pm wrote:
aCe' » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:51 pm wrote:I think we've overachieved so far this season and a huge amount of credit has to go Klopp's way. Its 50/50 for me whether we make top4 this season. That said, I dont think us missing out would be down to our defense. If anything, it would be down to our attacking and our over reliance on Mane offering width, and runs without the ball.

Despite what you think our defence has an awful lot to answer for this season. Did you even watch the Palace game because the way I see it is that we completely controlled that game and managed to get ourselves 1 up before our defence cost us 2 goals and it isn't the first time either.
We have conceded from 17 set pieces this season which is the worst of any team in the league despite the fact that we have outscored everyone in the same league. You must have a really short memory Ace.
Surely top 4 was the basic required this season ? at least it was back in august when everyone on here was expecting it due to us having no European commitments.

Further to that, both Chelsea and Spurs have only scored 1 goal less than (both played a game less than that) yet both have 2 of the best defensive records in the league. Makes bit of a mockery of the whole we concede so many because we are so attacking
Doeboy

Postby aCe' » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:58 am

We've dropped points in the 15 games below. We've gotten 9 points from 8 games Mane hasnt started (8 from 7 he hasn't featured in). The 1-0 against West Brom and the 2-1 against Stoke are our only wind without him. Both unconvincing wins. We generally score less and concede more when he's not on the pitch because sides don't have to worry about anyone making runs behind. Could we do better defensively ? Absolutely. Van Dijk would probably be an improvement on Lovren or Matip. He'd help us defend set pieces better and we'll probably concede a few fewer goals.

Point I was making is this, because we dont have the players that the likes of Tottenham, Chelsea, and Utd have, we need to rely on a system of pressing and possession to try and get as many points as we can. City play a similar system and Arsenal play a possession system. Both rely on defending higher up the pitch and that generally leaves spaces for opposition to exploit. We've conceded 42, Arsenal 40, and City 35.

Sunday 23 April 2017

Liverpool 1-2 Crystal Palace Anfield, Liverpool

Wednesday 5 April 2017

Liverpool 2-2 Bournemouth Anfield, Liverpool

Sunday 19 March 2017

Man City 1-1 Liverpool Etihad Stadium, Manchester

Tuesday 28 February 2017

Leicester 3-1 Liverpool King Power Stadium, Leicester

Saturday 4 February 2017

Hull 2-0 Liverpool KCOM Stadium, Hull

Wednesday 1 February 2017

Liverpool 1-1 Chelsea Anfield, Liverpool

Saturday 21 January 2017

Liverpool 2-3 Swansea Anfield, Liverpool

Sunday 15 January 2017

Man Utd 1-1 Liverpool Old Trafford, Manchester

Monday 2 January 2017

Sunderland 2-2 Liverpool Stadium of Light, Sunderland

Sunday 11 December 2016

Liverpool 2-2 West Ham Anfield, Liverpool

Sunday 4 December 2016

Bournemouth 4-3 Liverpool Vitality Stadium, Bournemouth

Saturday 19 November 2016

Southampton 0-0 Liverpool St. Mary's Stadium, Southampton

Monday 17 October 2016

Liverpool 0-0 Man Utd Anfield, Liverpool

Saturday 27 August 2016

Spurs 1-1 Liverpool White Hart Lane, London

Saturday 20 August 2016

Burnley 2-0 Liverpool Turf Moor, Burnley
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:16 am

Point I was making is this, because we dont have the players that the likes of Tottenham, Chelsea, and Utd have, we need to rely on a system of pressing and possession to try and get as many points as we can. City play a similar system and Arsenal play a possession system. Both rely on defending higher up the pitch and that generally leaves spaces for opposition to exploit. We've conceded 42, Arsenal 40, and City 35.

That's a feckin big failure as a club and the responsibility lies with the owners, CEO as well as the manager...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Doeboy » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:26 am

maguskwt » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:16 am wrote:Point I was making is this, because we dont have the players that the likes of Tottenham, Chelsea, and Utd have, we need to rely on a system of pressing and possession to try and get as many points as we can. City play a similar system and Arsenal play a possession system. Both rely on defending higher up the pitch and that generally leaves spaces for opposition to exploit. We've conceded 42, Arsenal 40, and City 35.

That's a feckin big failure as a club and the responsibility lies with the owners, CEO as well as the manager...

It is a weird one. Know a spurs fan and he says the only players of ours that would get into their team would be Coutinho and Mane.

Man for man i dont think theres much in it when it comes to our defenders and chelseas defenders. Where they trump us is in midfield with Kante
Doeboy

Postby maguskwt » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:49 am

Doeboy » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:26 am wrote:
maguskwt » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:16 am wrote:Point I was making is this, because we dont have the players that the likes of Tottenham, Chelsea, and Utd have, we need to rely on a system of pressing and possession to try and get as many points as we can. City play a similar system and Arsenal play a possession system. Both rely on defending higher up the pitch and that generally leaves spaces for opposition to exploit. We've conceded 42, Arsenal 40, and City 35.

It is a weird one. Know a spurs fan and he says the only players of ours that would get into their team would be Coutinho and Mane.

Man for man i dont think theres much in it when it comes to our defenders and chelseas defenders. Where they trump us is in midfield with Kante

I agree, only Coutinho and Mane would get into Spurs team. And a 100% Sturridge but he's never 100% so a moot point...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Doeboy » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:59 am

maguskwt » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:49 am wrote:
Doeboy » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:26 am wrote:

I agree, only Coutinho and Mane would get into Spurs team. And a 100% Sturridge but he's never 100% so a moot point...

I'd  say Sturridge is a better natural finisher than Kane but the laters all round game is much better than Studge's so he would pip it for me. Think fact that even when Sturridge has been fit Klopp has been reluctant to use him says it all
Doeboy

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion