How did roy do this transfer window?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

How did roy do this transfer window?

He did extremely well: we will be up there challenging for the title
5%
He did well: we will at least be in the top 4
20%
He did OKAY: we brought in two good players but still no striker, we might struggle to finish 4th
56%
He didn't do well: not bringing another striker is a big mistake, we will improve from last season's position, probably 6th
17%
He failed: WTF still no striker? mid-table mediocrity here we come
2%

Total votes : 88

Postby maguskwt » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:51 pm

Ok guys, just wanted to see the general view on here. For the poll choices just take them like 1.Good 2. Above Average 3. Average 4. Below Average 5. Bad. The second part of the descriptions are just for fun. Hence, no 'other' option. Please explain your choice and discuss.

FYI, I voted 3. He did Okay. The not bringing striker issue kinda ruined his good work bringing in Meireles and Joe Cole.

PS. Mods, please don't move this poll to the poll section if possible. As this is more about discussion.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:00 pm

I went for the 3rd option.
Not signing a striker is definitely a mistake for me, or should i say a gamble.
Should Torres stay fit for the majority of the season then we will be ok. If he doesnt then we will struggle to get back in the top 4.
But i am happy with the other business he has carried out.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby bigmick » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:01 pm

He did brilliantly well IMHO. It was just a shame that Masherano, his agent and Barcelona were able to collude to the extent that Roys hands were tied until a couple of days before the end of the window. Had that not been the case, he would have also got us a striker. As it is, he made a profit on transfers in that he brought more in than he spent, and he strengthened the team. Not only that, but he persuaded our best two players to stay against all the odds, and got Joey Cole to choose us over a host of other clubs.

All in all it was a sterling effort from our new manager, well in Roy lad :buttrock .
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:03 pm

bigmick wrote:He did brilliantly well IMHO. It was just a shame that Masherano, his agent and Barcelona were able to collude to the extent that Roys hands were tied until a couple of days before the end of the window. Had that not been the case, he would have also got us a striker. As it is, he made a profit on transfers in that he brought more in than he spent, and he strengthened the team. Not only that, but he persuaded our best two players to stay against all the odds, and got Joey Cole to choose us over a host of other clubs.

All in all it was a sterling effort from our new manager, well in Roy lad :buttrock .

so you voted the first choice? And do you also think that we can challenge for the title?
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kunilson » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:12 pm

i voted 3.

I actually thought he did good....but i still think we may struggle to get into the top 4 if we dont find our rythmn and keep it consistant when we do.

Only reason i wouldn't say he did extremely well is because signing a striker for me was a priority from day one.......should have been one of his first signings, aswell as a left back seeing as he didnt take to Insua.

those 2 positions for me were the huge gaping holes in our squad which were plain to see.
kunilson
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:15 pm

I voted 4th. He done well to bring in JC and RM but a new striker should have been the priority. As much as I think NGog will improve this season I would have preferred someone established.

I don't think we have enough balance or quality to push for 4th but we should at least get 6th. It's gotten a whole lot more competitive now with Spurs and City so only once we spend some serious money can we think about 4th again. Not saying 4th won't happen this season but it looks unlikely.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby El Nino_#9 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:16 pm

I think he did extremely well, but I don't think we will challenge for the title.

I expect we'll sign a striker in January - hopefully Torres and Ngog can stay injury free!
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:24 pm

Just to clarify more. The reason I picked 3 and not 4 is that I'm putting alot of faith in Ngog  :D. We've seen he has improved and with a strong midfield, which Roy seems to be prioritising we might just score enough goals even playing Ngog or Kuyt when Torres is injured. But I still do think that we might struggle to finish 4th. The league is about strength in depth and the squads of Spurs and Man City are stronger than ours. I actually think in terms of squad depth and overall quality, the sequence is like this:

Man United
Chelsea
Man City
Arsenal
Spurs
Liverpool

If you look at that, Roy has a big task on his hands to qualify for CL
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:30 pm

maguskwt wrote:
bigmick wrote:He did brilliantly well IMHO. It was just a shame that Masherano, his agent and Barcelona were able to collude to the extent that Roys hands were tied until a couple of days before the end of the window. Had that not been the case, he would have also got us a striker. As it is, he made a profit on transfers in that he brought more in than he spent, and he strengthened the team. Not only that, but he persuaded our best two players to stay against all the odds, and got Joey Cole to choose us over a host of other clubs.

so you voted the first choice? And do you also think that we can challenge for the title?

I did vote for the first choice, but I don't think we will challenge for the title. This is why it's always sensible to include an "others" option, as Roy did better than "well", he did "extremely well" but that doesn't mean we will will challenge for the title.

Unfortunately he's inherited a team which finished 7th in the league last season, and however well he does (and as I say he's done extremely well IMHO) you don't jump from 7th to challenging for the title. You can challenge for the title then slump into 7th as we proved, but you don't do it the other way around IMHO.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:33 pm

Well yeah, like I said the second part of the poll choices aren't really that serious...just clarifying. The logic is that last season's team was touted as 'good enough' to challenge for the title by some. So if Roy did extremely well to improve on the last season's team, then surely we will be challenging for the title...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:34 pm

maguskwt wrote:Just to clarify more. The reason I picked 3 and not 4 is that I'm putting alot of faith in Ngog  :D. We've seen he has improved and with a strong midfield, which Roy seems to be prioritising we might just score enough goals even playing Ngog or Kuyt when Torres is injured. But I still do think that we might struggle to finish 4th. The league is about strength in depth and the squads of Spurs and Man City are stronger than ours. I actually think in terms of squad depth and overall quality, the sequence is like this:

Man United
Chelsea
Man City
Arsenal
Spurs
Liverpool

If you look at that, Roy has a big task on his hands to qualify for CL

I'd agree with that assessment to be honest, although when people talk about "squad" they often look at subs benches and it's not as simple as that. Torres is a better striker than any of the ones Spurs or Arsenal have IMHO. It matters not that they have four good ones if we can keep our great one fit. Similarly, Gerrard is a better player than Spurs have, so all is not lost.

Clearly Roy has walked into something of a train wreck situation and in that sense I agree with you, but all is not quite so doom and gloom if we have a bit of luck with injuries. We really need either or both of Joey Cole and Merierles to really shine, then we might just be onto something.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:41 pm

went for the 3rd option, Joe Cole was excellent coup and unexpected. Konchesky was a will prove to be a horrible piece of transfer activity, the rest of the signings i have no oproblem with and they look to be decent/good players. A Striker should have been signed, at least on loan and i dont accept the Mascherano situation as an acceptable reason not to have got one. Overall are squad is still to weak and unbalanced and i think finishing 4th is gonna be a very hard task this year.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby In and Out » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:43 pm

I think he did well in the transfer market - I think it's actually refreshing to see a manager steer clear of signing exotic names, Merieles perhaps excluded - but it's refreshing to also see a manager go for a different style of player too. That's what we really needed - he's able to think outside the proverbial box.

Obviously dissapointed in not signing a striker but that's not Roy's fault - I blame Purslow for that :angry:
Football is a relatively simple game and Roy knows it ;)
In and Out
LFC Super Member

Postby maguskwt » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:44 pm

In and Out wrote:I think he did well in the transfer market - I think it's actually refreshing to see a manager steer clear of signing exotic names, Merieles perhaps excluded - but it's refreshing to also see a manager go for a different style of player too. That's what we really needed - he's able to think outside the proverbial box.

Obviously dissapointed in not signing a striker but that's not Roy's fault - I blame Purslow for that :angry:

Yeah... Feckin' Purslow...

:D
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:50 pm

I also think he did well, he improved the team with some good players who can do the job, and will prove to be better players than Degen, Dosenna, Insua, Lucas, etc...

I still think we will finish top 4 this season
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion