Fixing our defence - what needs to be done?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:39 am

For some reason, especially second half of matches, we seem liable to conceding goals, especially in the last 20 mins of games.

It's very annoying.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:37 am

We are not good at soaking up pressure, We are only good attacking!

Allowing 4 shots on goal against a fantastic attacking team like City is not bad, it is just that three of them went in so you have to also look at the goalie. We need a goalie that can pull off game saving saves or at the very least save shots he should save. We have not had a good goalie for a long time.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:34 pm

Thought I'd bring this thread up as I noticed our defensive jitters return last night when VVD was out of the team.....

I think the problem is simply down to the fact that, without VVD, no one takes command of things. Instead people stop talking, stop working together and run around like sheep. Indeed, on one occasion, I saw Moreno, Lovern and Karius all go for the same ball.   No communication.

Go help us if VVD ever gets injured!
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:40 pm

That is why we need another solid CB with VVD. We can't rely on the others when VVD is out.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:01 pm

We have five CB set now. It's just a matter of finding the right combination. VVD, Klavan, Matip, Lovren and Gomez.
Take your pic
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby Eagle » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:00 pm

7_Kewell » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:34 pm wrote:Thought I'd bring this thread up as I noticed our defensive jitters return last night when VVD was out of the team.....

I think the problem is simply down to the fact that, without VVD, no one takes command of things. Instead people stop talking, stop working together and run around like sheep. Indeed, on one occasion, I saw Moreno, Lovern and Karius all go for the same ball.   No communication.

I only had it on the background but I didn't notice any significant issues and the pundits didn't mention in after the game either?
Eagle

Postby Eagle » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:00 pm

7_Kewell » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:34 pm wrote:Thought I'd bring this thread up as I noticed our defensive jitters return last night when VVD was out of the team.....

I only had it on the background but I didn't notice any significant issues and the pundits didn't mention in after the game either?
Eagle

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:50 pm

Eagle » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:00 pm wrote:

Nothing disastrous, but the warning signs were there. The old hesitation, indecision and act of daftness. Moreno, for example, over hit a pass to Lovern and it bounced to a Porto striker.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:17 pm

We need good, stable defenders if we want to compete on all fronts next season.
Once a couple are missing and our secondary defenders are given a shot we look fragile.

LB - Robertson/Moreno

CB - VVD/Matip/Lovren/Klavan/Gomez

RB - Clyne/ TAA/Gomez

We have to move Moreno on he is a liability and is always prone to make a mistake.

Robertson has claimed the LB spot so i wouldn't bother finding a player to fill that void.
We need good cover for Robertson. I would love it if we can sign Sessegnon. He would be a perfect Klopp player.

At Centre back i feel we need a solid partner with VVD. Matip and Lovren are ok but not at a high level. Also if VVD is out we will struggle in the centre.
I would sell Klavan he is ok but not reliable and going past it now.
So ideally we need a regular solid CB and another for cover.
Even if we don't buy another for cover i think we should be ok with Gomez/Lovren and Matip.

At right back TAA has proven he can perform when needed and also he will have Clyne competing with him for the slot.
Gomez for me is better at CB than right back.
So with Clyne/ TAA covering that position we should be ok.

We've got other areas to fix aswel so defensively i feel we should go for x1 or x2 CB and a LB.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Klopptomaniac » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:37 pm

Right back we're fine, left back we need cover - Sessegnon plays at left wing for Fulham now so that wouldn't work - he's on the Gareth Bale trajectory.

Need a first team centre half. Over a season we could perhaps get away with VVD, Matip, Gomez and another as our centre backs.

Keep Clyne and there's enough depth at right back.

In short we need a second choice left back and a first team centre half to slot in next to VVD.
Klopptomaniac
LFC Advanced Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:28 am

We currently have five centre backs, Klavan, Lovren, VVD, Gomez and Matip. Do you think Klopp will be buying another!?? I don't think so.

Offloading one, probably Klavan will be what Klopp will do in the summer. Then next season I think he will rotate between Matip /Lovren with VVD. He gave Lovren a new contract, do you think this means Lovren is on the way out!?

Left backs... Maybe so as backup, but give me some names....
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:49 pm

Getting rid of Moreno would be a positive step
:nod
Thommo's perm

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:22 pm

I think our first team starters are good enough to keep the backline secure against anyone. And when I say first team, I mean:

Robertson, Matip, VVD, TAA
                                                                                                   Karius

Problems arise when we rotate or get injuries. Moreno isn't good enough and neither is Klavan or Migs. Add in absent minded Lovern and the inexperienced Gomez to the mix and our defense tends to sh!t itself at the first sign of trouble. As a result, we need to move some of the deadwood out and bring in players who can step up.
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:50 am

Ghost of Shankly » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:01 pm wrote:We have five CB set now. It's just a matter of finding the right combination. VVD, Klavan, Matip, Lovren and Gomez.
Take your pic

Apparently non of them have a mouth to organise the entire back line?  :veryangry
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:49 pm

Santa » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:50 am wrote:
Ghost of Shankly » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:01 pm wrote:We have five CB set now. It's just a matter of finding the right combination. VVD, Klavan, Matip, Lovren and Gomez.
Take your pic

Apparently non of them have a mouth to organise the entire back line?  :veryangry

Including VVD?   He seems to organise the defence a lot better since January, as it was a shambles beforehand.

Overall with our defense....

The right back spot we have Clyne, TAA and Gomez( :down: ) so we are adequate there.

Left backs...Robertson, Moreno and Milner can play there. Offload Moreno and bring in another for cover to Robertson.

CB's.....We have five, so we are fine, we just need to offload Klavan.

So to summarise, I think that only Moreno and Klavan Should be offloaded in the summer, then sign a new Left Back as cover/rotational purposes, for Robertson
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion