Fixing our defence - what needs to be done?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby The Raven » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:02 pm

Erm.

Im as ***** off as anyone else. clearly we need a need a new defensive coach. We need to not be play Klavan.....we need a new center back that commands his back line. Best case now is we limp to Jan and try and stay around the top 4
The Raven

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:46 pm

Big Niall » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:40 am wrote:We have a Sh*t manager , think what George Graham in his prime would do , we have a retard manager who buys shhit degenders and organises them poorly. The man is a fool.

2 years in the job and we are worse than I've ever seen defensively but some fans are looking for a Messiah, Tottenham have overtaken LFC without outspending us as they have a proper manager.

If Tottenham are so much better than us why do we keep handing them their @rse everytime we play them? And surely you can't be serious about Graham?
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:17 pm

At this stage we need a change of personnel at the back with the centre half positions being the priority. Robertson, Clyne, TAA and Gomez provide enough for the FB positions so over the next 2 windows we should seriously look to add two new CH's and a keeper.
What we have hasn't been working for a while now and it boils down to players underperforming under successive managers. Mingolet and Lovren being the two main culprits.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:36 pm

red till i die!! » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:17 pm wrote:At this stage we need a change of personnel at the back with the centre half positions being the priority.Mingolet and Lovren being the two main culprits.

The transfer window is shut unless you didn't hear, Klopp is happy with what he has got, he did not panic buy anyone when he couldn't land VVD, so a lot of forum posters should stop moaning like a b*tch, about the defence. We just make do with what we have got. Period! Just because we have made errors so far this season, that does not mean we will do so in future matches. We just need to tighten up. :)
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:09 pm

Carragher gave a good analysis on our defense on mnf. Trying to find the vid on youtube but struggling i think its been removed.
He mentioned how the players need to be more "streetwise" and resilient.
I'll post the link if i find the vid.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:10 pm

redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby bunglemark2 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:49 pm

redshade » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:10 pm wrote:http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/11053537/carra-on-liverpool-defending

Lovren, Moreno...so pi$$ poor, that I'd be tempted to take a punt on a couple from the U23's in their place. They can't possibly be any worse.
And Matip seems to have regressed.
Arsenal signed a centre back on a free this season that we should have grabbed first. Used to play alongside Matip so Klopp must know him. Maybe Klopp doesn't rate him, dunno..
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Big Niall » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:36 am

We have a kkrap manager. He has no idea how to defend and buys, chooses , trains players like Lovren, Moreno , Mignolet , Karius.

Sack the fooking clown!
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:57 pm

Feel our defensive issues have gone on for too long now and it’s unrealistic to expect things will change with current personnel.

New goalkeeper and two centre backs at the bare minimum and a defensive midfielder shielding in front.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:09 pm

Lets be honest here, as well as they did on Saturday we are in sh'it street when it comes to defense. Gomez is a centre back being asked to fill in for a right wing back and failing. Moreno is a defensive catastrophe waiting to happen and is seriously lacking in his final ball play. Matip is a decent centre back with some good qualities but cant head a ball to save his life, making corners a complete waste of time. Lovren is always going to suffer with his confidence and can have a nervous breakdown at any given moment. In other words we are fu'cked, which is why everyone who had visions of a title challenge should seriously reconsider and lower their expectations.
:nod
Thommo's perm

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:38 pm

Unfortunately, our season is doomed, due to defensive issues. A successful team is always firstly solid in defence. That coupled with our inability to convert chances means I can't see us winning any silverware this season.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:09 pm

Just thinking back to Tom Werner and his obsession with offensive play that has me wondering if this is partly why we don't seem to bother with defence ?. Is it part of Jurgens mandate to achieve this because its the direction the owners want us to go in ?.
He is very involved in his baseball teams so he is bound to be involved with us as well. If you do a google on him you will see an interview every year where he bemoans the Sox's offense and in this particular interview he vows to put it right by using freebies even though they have money.http://www.espn.co.uk/boston/mlb/story/ ... ree-agency

Personally my own opinion is that Jurgen was sought out to finish off the work Brendan began. Since he has come in he has signed very little and least of all addressed the defence which I find unbelievable considering the man spent his career as a defender. All we look to sign is attacking players and all very similar in that they are unproven and overated but yet we are still persisting with them. The decisions don't make sense along with the refusal to balance or strengthen the team in the right areas.
At Dortmund they were a much better balanced side with a mean defence, Pacy midfield and always a top striker so its like Jurgen abandoned all his philosophies when he got this job. Its his 3rd season now and there was still 7 players lining up from Rodgers time in yesterdays game.
Jurgen is at the helm and therefore in the firing line and some of it deserved but its the policies of the owners that has us where we are. They led us down a path before the summer with all the hype about lining up players and having a war chest but in the end we got more excuses and shenanigans. A return to the Cl and we bought 1 player along with a kid who never played in the league before and to top that pearler off they sent out a lad that did. Robertson can't get a game and then we made a fool of ourselves by spending that kind of money on Ox with a year left on his contract on the last day in what has to be described as a pure panic buy. It goes against everything they ever said because he isn't value for money, Not a quality player and unable to even break into the starting 11.
Did we focus on offense this year and neglect our defence ? I say yes but the question remains on why we did  :nod As I said I cannot believe Klopp neglected everything he knows about the game and still had the stupidity to talk about challenging for a league when every single fan out there knows we haven't a hope because of the summer business.

Klopp was never brought here to be given full reign  :no He is here to run the club in line with the owners policies and its no wonder its beginning to crumble around him.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby johnbarnes » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:05 pm

red till i die!! » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:09 pm wrote:Just thinking back to Tom Werner and his obsession with offensive play that has me wondering if this is partly why we don't seem to bother with defence ?. Is it part of Jurgens mandate to achieve this because its the direction the owners want us to go in ?.
He is very involved in his baseball teams so he is bound to be involved with us as well. If you do a google on him you will see an interview every year where he bemoans the Sox's offense and in this particular interview he vows to put it right by using freebies even though they have money.http://www.espn.co.uk/boston/mlb/story/ ... ree-agency

Personally my own opinion is that Jurgen was sought out to finish off the work Brendan began. Since he has come in he has signed very little and least of all addressed the defence which I find unbelievable considering the man spent his career as a defender. All we look to sign is attacking players and all very similar in that they are unproven and overated but yet we are still persisting with them. The decisions don't make sense along with the refusal to balance or strengthen the team in the right areas.
At Dortmund they were a much better balanced side with a mean defence, Pacy midfield and always a top striker so its like Jurgen abandoned all his philosophies when he got this job. Its his 3rd season now and there was still 7 players lining up from Rodgers time in yesterdays game.
Jurgen is at the helm and therefore in the firing line and some of it deserved but its the policies of the owners that has us where we are. They led us down a path before the summer with all the hype about lining up players and having a war chest but in the end we got more excuses and shenanigans. A return to the Cl and we bought 1 player along with a kid who never played in the league before and to top that pearler off they sent out a lad that did. Robertson can't get a game and then we made a fool of ourselves by spending that kind of money on Ox with a year left on his contract on the last day in what has to be described as a pure panic buy. It goes against everything they ever said because he isn't value for money, Not a quality player and unable to even break into the starting 11.
Did we focus on offense this year and neglect our defence ? I say yes but the question remains on why we did  :nod As I said I cannot believe Klopp neglected everything he knows about the game and still had the stupidity to talk about challenging for a league when every single fan out there knows we haven't a hope because of the summer business.

Klopp was never brought here to be given full reign  :no He is here to run the club in line with the owners policies and its no wonder its beginning to crumble around him.

And it's up to us, The Kopite to put an end to FSG's BULLSH!T
They are the ones who need to be shown the door - not Klopp!
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby aCe' » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:31 pm

Football is a simple game, we need to change the formation/setup  to a more balanced one and bring in better players in key positions. Klopp or whoever else manages the club will need to do that. The Mourinhos, Fergusons and Contes win titles because they have quality teams that are class down both ends.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:42 pm

Drastic action is needed to implement change,either Karius or Ward is given a regular run between the sticks ,and Arnold gets the opportunity to make RB his own and in a similar vein Gomez moves to CB, or we persist with players more than prone to individual errors. I'd also throw Grujic in at DM and give him time to learn that role,but with all these changes the manager needs to afford them the time to grow into their positions and not withdraw them from action with every mistake,mishaps will happen but at least we can look forward to some form of a consistent eleven without the same faces costing us points game after game,I mean the constant chopping and changing of those positions has done us no favors whatsoever as no one is given time to become familiar with their role, partnerships need to grow and our back four need to know they will see 'albeit from injury' the same faces alongside them week after week.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion