Fixing our defence - what needs to be done?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby chriserfolg » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:23 am

Kante from leicester city is the type of defensive midfield we need atm , and a GK , big miss on Begovic when he was available.
chriserfolg
LFC Basic Member

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:52 am

We are missing a tall CB.. I think Sakho is 6"1 but hes always up too early for heading the ball.

Toure is what 5"11/6ft so big strikers have the jump on him everytime.

Lovren is 6"1 but also has terrible timing on his heading.

Skrtel is our best defender in the air at 6"2 but he's too busy wrestling off the ball to deal with anything.

Matip will be a huge step up for set pieces as he's 6"3 and decent in the Air.. I'm sure that's why Klopp has took time out to get this deal done for the summer.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby parchpea » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:25 pm

Firstly we need aggressive and predominately defensive full backs who stop the ball coming in, and in addition a genuine holding midfield player, a big man who
is also strong and tough in the tackle.

We then need an alpha centre back, not only with the physical attributes but a player who wants to defend and block shots and organise the line.

A goalie, we are sick of banging on about it but we need a giant who commands his area
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Doeboy » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:42 pm

parchpea » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:25 am wrote:Firstly we need aggressive and predominately defensive full backs who stop the ball coming in, and in addition a genuine holding midfield player, a big man who

We then need an alpha centre back, not only with the physical attributes but a player who wants to defend and block shots and organise the line.

A goalie, we are sick of banging on about it but we need a giant who commands his area

Agree with that. Moreno is a reactivate defender and looks great when he gets back using his pace and makes tackles however this masks over the fact the lad hasn't got a clue in terms of positioning or preventing danger coming in. Totally agree with a dominant centre back and a goalie who gives the defense a bollocking when they f*ck up. Reina used to go ape Sh*t at his defender's.  Mignolet is way to passive
Doeboy

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:14 pm

parchpea » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:25 am wrote:Firstly we need aggressive and predominately defensive full backs who stop the ball coming in, and in addition a genuine holding midfield player, a big man who

Can you email this to the transfer committee?   :D
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SkippyRed » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:20 pm

For mine, we need a DM who actually knows how to protect and cover the defensive line. Lucas has the brain, but not the ability. Need a big, aggressive, get the f*ck away from my CB's kind of guy.

RB - Happy with the Clyne/Flanno combo.
RCB - Needs to be upgraded. I am not sure Matip is going to be a significant upgrade but he is tall and good in the air.
LCB - Sakho/Lovren will do, Sakho first preference.
LB - Need to fire Moreno out of a cannon and find a better buy.

GK - If Klopp is hell bent on keeping migs then we need a better GK coach and definitely need  a DM and RCB who is a leader and can organise a defence on the run and at set pieces.
SkippyRed
LFC Advanced Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:00 am

Its not our aerial ability that is the main cause of concern its winning that second ball when it drops into our area ,a lot of goals we have conceded have come directly from the knock down which in turn induces complete panic ,I think the inclusion of intelligent defenders would make a marked difference someone to add a calmness at the back. We just seem to be so erratic at the back ,and have defenders who have no understanding of each others game.

Id like to see Ilori given his chance at the back  and Flanagan back as fullback.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:11 am

Take your point.

But the first ball is the easier one to defend because the destination of the ball is more predictable. Once there's a touch on it it can end up anywhere and it creates panic. When you're already getting criticised for your defending of set plays that panic is magnified and leads to goals.

Simply put we need a couple of guys who can judge the flight of a ball and are aggressive enough to go and attack it.

How we are now reminds me of what we were like the season before we signed Hyypia. Getting in a player like that who is good at dealing with the first ball and exudes calmness to those around him is what we need.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Octsky » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:22 am

how i wish agger, carra and reina were still here.
Octsky
LFC Super Member

Postby killerp » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:28 am

Octsky » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:22 am wrote:how i wish agger, carra and reina were still here.

I think you mean something like this:

Best defensive setup I have witnessed in my time at the club since 2004 IMO.
killerp

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:51 pm

I don't think our defence is that bad, as Jurgen said we don't actually concede that many chances from open play, it's not as if teams are continually carving us open and creating loads of one on ones with our keeper, we just have one obvious Achilles heel in our inability to defend crosses.
I think getting Lovren back into the side will help (as he's decent in the air) but more than anything else I think the whole team just needs to be more aggressive, players need to be more aggressive when the ball is in the air (especially Mingolet) but more importantly players need to be more aggressive getting onto the knock downs.
Let's not forget that none of Norwich's goals were headers just as Rooney's wasn't a week earlier nor were any of Arsenals a week before that. It's not so much our inability to defend headers it's our inability to react to the second ball.
Once we lose a header players tend to go into panic mode but by learning to react with aggression rather than fear I think we could soon sort it out.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby number 8 ynwa » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:16 pm

Im surprised so many are hammering Moreno - He is obviously being told to get forward and attack which i he does really well, however if you are going to ask him to do that he will suffer defensively.  I dont think there are many full backs in the world who can attack and defend 100% - they dont esixt as you cant be in 2 places at one time.  He is also very young and still learning the game - Give the lad a break!
number 8 ynwa
LFC Basic Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:53 pm

number 8 ynwa » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:16 pm wrote:Im surprised so many are hammering Moreno - He is obviously being told to get forward and attack which i he does really well, however if you are going to ask him to do that he will suffer defensively.  I dont think there are many full backs in the world who can attack and defend 100% - they dont esixt as you cant be in 2 places at one time.  He is also very young and still learning the game - Give the lad a break!

The last few games he's played he's hardly got forward at all ,certainly not to the extent of when he was comfortably one of our more attacking threats down the flanks. I mean his performance against Norwich in particular cant be put down to anything but incompetence, it was simply stupidity to bring Naismith down 'twice' in our area. 'Give the lad a break' I think if you had suggested that to any of the travelling Reds at Carrow Rd directly after the incident they would have asked you to choose a leg !
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:10 pm

Goalkeeper has to be a priority, we will never have a stable defence with Mignolet in goal, despite what Klopp says the team clearly have no faith in him especially when dealing with balls into the box, no one knows if hes gonna come off his line or stay rooted and its panic station every time a routine ball gets whipped in.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Eagle » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:56 pm

5 clean sheets in our last 7 games with only 2 goals conceded. Not bad.
Eagle

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion