EMRE CAN - official thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:37 pm

His place in the team is going to Keita next year who will be a massive upgrade on Can. I think Can actually believes he's too good for us, but he'll get a reality check when he's warming the bench at Juve.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:54 pm

eds » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:25 am wrote:Just put a reasonable buy-out clause into his contract and be done with it.

No massive loss if we have to sell him, as he is low down the pecking order when Keita arrives next year.

Better losing him for 30 to 40m, than not get anything if he leaves at the end of this season.

Don't often agree with Ed's perspective but with a slight reservation I kinda think he's on the money here.

Let's not forget that Can is just 23, still loads of footballing years in front of him for this fella to get better and better.

Ed's say's "Better losing him for 30 to 40m, than not get anything if he leaves at the end of this season"   I completely agree.

Where I do disagree is that he wouldn't be a massive loss . 

By way of explanation.

We're trying to build something here and whilst the departure of a clearly talented 23 year old wouldn't immediately be the end of the world I firmly believe that further down the track it's something we could regret.

Some have taken the stance "Fk Can, we've got Keita arriving next season"

Is anybody paying attention to squad depth ?

We've seen whats happened when first pick players have been injured , we have struggled.

Imagine the scenario next season, We've let Can walk and early days Keita picks up an injury that keeps him out for 6 weeks + , our midfield is then ?????????????.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that Can is the next Alonso, Iniesta, etc etc BUT he is a skillful player who can in a pinch perform in a back four, fill in as a DM or drive forward from midfield and imo he shouldn't be so easily discarded.

:kungfu:

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Pig Catcher » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:10 pm

This is a bit of a f*ck up by the club. We've invested a couple of years in his development letting him make mistakes on the field and he'll now have his prime years somewhere else and we'll get no fee. Oh dear.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:07 pm

Although he's only young and still time to develop and improve, you can tell within a few games how good players are. He's got a good engine on him, box to box, but he can't defend, can't shoot on target (especially from outside the box) can't create any chances for strikers,through balls etc. So I don't see the point of him being on the pitch. We have too many players who do this tippy-tappy short passes side to side that get you nowhere in matches. It's pointless. We need players with a cutting edge. That bicycle kick v Watford last season was a fluke.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:57 am

can't shoot on target (especially from outside the box)

:p

We have too many players who do this tippy-tappy short passes side to side that get you nowhere in matches. It's pointless.

:p   :p  do you actually watch any of our games ?

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:30 pm

You've been digging around on you tube, you've well edited that one!!
Now show us all the clips of his calamity tracking back/defending, and his non existence in matches please :) :)  I still don't rate him. :)
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:46 am

Didn't have to do any digging or editing, just type his name into YouTube, all his stuff is there.

You may not rate him but I can think of other midfielders I rather see leave before Can   :;):

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby aCe' » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:22 pm

He's at a stage in his career where he'll either develop into a top player or fizzle out into another Nzonzi type. I hate seeing him and Henderson as a midfield 2 but I wouldnt mind him getting a few games in the pivot position instead of Henderson. He's a better all round player imo and has a much higher ceiling than Henderson.

That said, I can see Juventus or Bayern signing him on a free in the summer. Seems like his mind is set on leaving.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:43 am

Shame he will go on a free because under the current market we could have easily got 25-30m for him.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:00 pm

Can has potential, but seldom lives up to it on a regular basis.

I think most fans are indifferent because it looks like he wants to leave. He's been offered a couple of deals and said no to each. Not much we can do apart from move him on in Jan if we get a decent offer and replacement organised.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:18 pm

I don't know if it is accurate but we're assuming Can is not accepting the contract due to a high release clause.
Wouldn't it be better to just give him a standard contract and then sell him for 30m rather then him going on a free.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:04 pm

redshade » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:18 pm wrote:I don't know if it is accurate but we're assuming Can is not accepting the contract due to a high release clause.
Wouldn't it be better to just give him a standard contract and then sell him for 30m rather then him going on a free.

I think the imminent arrival of Keita has a lot to do with his, Emre's 24 now and a German international and he doesn't want to spend the best years of his career sitting on our bench which is fair enough I suppose. Apparently he's prepared to sign a new deal but only if it includes a low-ish buy out clause so he can bail out anytime he wants to.
Unsurprisingly the club aren't keen on that idea at all, I suppose low buy out clauses to moneyballers are like crosses to vampires and silver bullets to werewolves.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:26 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:04 pm wrote:
redshade » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:18 pm wrote:I don't know if it is accurate but we're assuming Can is not accepting the contract due to a high release clause.

I think the imminent arrival of Keita has a lot to do with his, Emre's 24 now and a German international and he doesn't want to spend the best years of his career sitting on our bench which is fair enough I suppose. Apparently he's prepared to sign a new deal but only if it includes a low-ish buy out clause so he can bail out anytime he wants to.
Unsurprisingly the club aren't keen on that idea at all, I suppose low buy out clauses to moneyballers are like crosses to vampires and silver bullets to werewolves.

Yeah but that's exactly redshade's point. Why would these moneyballers rather have Can leave on free than have him sign a contract with a release clause. No matter how low it might be, it's better to make some money than nothing at all.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:24 pm

I won't lose sleep, and I doubt many fans will, whether Can signs a new deal or not. More importantly is our "key player" situation, namely whether Coutinho will still be an lfc player next season. That will be a bigger hole to fill, as we will lose a huge chunk of attacking industry and creativity  :(
Last edited by Ghost of Shankly on Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:28 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:04 pm wrote:

Apparently he's prepared to sign a new deal but only if it includes a low-ish buy out clause so he can bail out anytime he wants to.

Apparently !????
This could be all rumours, smoke and no fire. If he wants to be here, he'll sign a new deal, if not bonnie voyage.  Lets just see what happens..
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion