Dropped points

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby redshade » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:05 pm

"22nd time that Klopp's Liverpool have dropped points from a winning position. fifth time when Liverpool's had a 2-0 lead or better. In 120 games as manager."

It is a torrid stat to say the least and it is something that really needs to be resolved.
I support Klopp and feel we can go places with him however he really needs to be more ruthless with the lacklustre players we have.
Until we get rid of the average joes i can't see us progressing and if Klopp still persists with them then to be honest Klopp won't last long here.

We've got defensive liabilities that need to be gone and replaced.

Big questions remain for Klopp will he continue to persist with our captain fantastic?

Will Moreno still be our regular LB?

I feel we need a leader on the pitch who can inspire the lads or calm them down when the going gets tough. To be honest Hendo should really be at teams like Bournemouth or West ham. I wouldn't be surprised if even at those clubs they would bench him.

The draw against Chelsea wasn't bad but why many are p1ssed off is because how many times its happened.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:10 pm

I don't mind defeat, if it's by the better team. But the way we squander 2-0 and 3-0 leads etc. has to be a big concern.
It comes down to our inability to shut up shop, defend a lead and keep it tight, especially in second half's of matches.
Klopp hasn't addressed this issue, and it was the same story last season, when we conceding three goals against bottom teams like Hull, Swansea, Bournemouth etc etc.

He needs to sort the defence out. The backbone of a team is the fundamental key to a successful side.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby Doeboy » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:44 pm

i'll be honest, with the squad we have, challenging for a CL place is about par. Never really bought into the talk of a title, simply because we concede too many over a course of a season. Only 8 teams have conceded more than us. If your chasing a title, that simply isn't good enough plain and simple. We go through phases where we don't concede and you think maybe we've turned to corner but then you get a game like Sevilla where the usual old habits re-appear.

We are a good entertaining team with some cracking attacking players but looking across the squad, I do wonder how many of our midfielders and defenders (Mignolet  has no chance) would get into the first teams of the other clubs in the top 6 and I honestly don't think too  many would which tells it's own stories. So dropped points is not really a surprise, especially with the way we play.

In terms of the manager, he gets us playing some fantastic stuff but I've always felt he has bit of a blind spot when it comes to his own and the teams weaknesses.
Doeboy

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:29 pm

redshade » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:05 pm wrote:"22nd time that Klopp's Liverpool have dropped points from a winning position. fifth time when Liverpool's had a 2-0 lead or better. In 120 games as manager."

It is a torrid stat to say the least and it is something that really needs to be resolved.
I support Klopp and feel we can go places with him however he really needs to be more ruthless with the lacklustre players we have.
Until we get rid of the average joes i can't see us progressing and if Klopp still persists with them then to be honest Klopp won't last long here.

We've got defensive liabilities that need to be gone and replaced.

Big questions remain for Klopp will he continue to persist with our captain fantastic?

Will Moreno still be our regular LB?

I feel we need a leader on the pitch who can inspire the lads or calm them down when the going gets tough. To be honest Hendo should really be at teams like Bournemouth or West ham. I wouldn't be surprised if even at those clubs they would bench him.

The draw against Chelsea wasn't bad but why many are p1ssed off is because how many times its happened.

I don't think I would bracket the draw against Chelsea with the Seville result, firstly, many teams find themselves pegged back after being only one goal in front and the equalizing goal was born from the kind of fluke you can rarely foresee ,let alone prevent happening.

The Seville game once again was down to a lack of concentration and a distinct lack of effort in closing down the play and no amount of personnel changes would have made that result different as we simply stopped doing the graft that made us worthy winners of the first half ,whereas yesterday 'changes' could have been made to arrest Chelsea's attacking threat when Fabregas was introduced. I don't think we have ever had a stronger bench than yesterday with Mane ,Firmino and Lallana all confirmed match winners and game changers.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:25 pm

One of the most worrying things about the seville game was the interview our captain gave after the game where he said "The biggest thing for us was that we stopped playing". WTF does that mean? An admission that we werent arsed, or that we didnt have the ability to play, or that we didnt realise we were playing badly until it was too late, or that we did realise but couldnt do anything about it?
Its a shocking thing to say and a poor excuse for such a performance
:no
Thommo's perm

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:59 pm

When literally nobody believes you can hold on to a lead, not your own players, not your own fans, not the opposition's players, not their fans, not the tv commentators, not neutral fans, not members of the press, not pundits.....no one, then I think it's high fvcking time the club actually did something about it.
Whatever happens players need to be coming in in January and for that to happen the club needs to be doing the groundwork now, shrugging their shoulders on the last day of the window saying they couldn't get anything over the line just won't wash, not when we have a defence that is a laughing stock.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:25 am

We need defenders badly to stop this rot of leaking goals, but our manager has come out and said he is happy with his four centre backs (Klavan, Lovren, Matip, Gomez) and also moreno etc. So I can't see much changing in terms of new signings anytime soon.
Surely Klopp can see that we leak goals left, right and centre, and are also vulnerable to counter attacks!!? Every other man and his dog can see it. :p
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby Boocity » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:17 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:59 pm wrote:When literally nobody believes you can hold on to a lead, not your own players, not your own fans, not the opposition's players, not their fans, not the tv commentators, not neutral fans, not members of the press, not pundits.....no one, then I think it's high fvcking time the club actually did something about it.
Whatever happens players need to be coming in in January and for that to happen the club needs to be doing the groundwork now, shrugging their shoulders on the last day of the window saying they couldn't get anything over the line just won't wash, not when we have a defence that is a laughing stock.

Pretty much spot on. I watched the Seville game on Bein sports and Ruud Gullit said just before the 2nd half when we were 3-0 up, this games not over.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:27 am

Consistency is a major problem under this manager thus far also. We struggle to put a few wins together in the league over the past 2/3 seasons. There is something fundamentally wrong with the team/formation/personnel, thus far, and it needs to be addressed.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby Big Niall » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:23 am

How many trophies has he won ? He’s a joke
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:03 am

Well we can add another to the never ending list.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:03 pm

We're very lucky to still be in fourth place currently, considering we have a League 2 defence and keeper, and keeping conceding goals and points.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:11 pm

Ghost of Shankly » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:03 pm wrote:We're very lucky to still be in fourth place currently, considering we have a League 2 defence and keeper, and keeping conceding goals and points.

FFS lad, give it a rest.  We're not lucky to be anywhere in the league...we're 4th because we regularly tw@t teams for six.

The way some go on, you'd have thought that Klopp inherited the 1990 title winning side, instead of the mid-table dross of Brendan's final year. He's made mistakes, but show me a manager who hasn't? 

I personally think we're on the verge of something special with our attacking play and manager. Others seem keen to throw him under the bus after a few draws....
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:03 pm

It's annoying because it's wrecking our season. We have the nucleus of a great side, but we are not even guaranteed 4th spot unless we stop dropping points.
No chance of winning the league halfway through the season.
No 4th place this season is a disaster imo.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:06 pm

We should be atleast 2nd in the table with the amount of points we've dropped. Mancs drew 2-2 vs Leicester, Chelsea drew Everton we could've gain ground on them.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion