Dont buy the sun - An idiots guide

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu May 18, 2006 4:51 pm

Mods, I know this is probably the wrong forum, but it will get the most views in here, and can be moved in a few days.

There have been many questions as to how why the boycott exsists, well if there ever was an idiots guidem this is it:

.Image

A surprising number of people seem unaware of the boycott of The Sun by supporters of Liverpool Football Club. Some don't seem to know it is boycotted, others don't know why. Some people rather disturbingly know why the boycott exists but still choose to buy it.

If you choose to continue to buy The Sun after reading this article, and the articles it links to, then you ought to stop calling yourself a Liverpool supporter. Collect any shirts or scarves you have, and hand them in to a charity shop. In fact you can't really call yourself a football supporter. The lies printed in The Sun that you will read about below were aimed at Liverpool supporters, people from Liverpool, people from the North of England, football supporters of any club. If you fall into any of those categories you certainly shouldn't be buying, reading, or visiting the website of that newspaper. If you are a decent human being you will be steering clear of it from now on, even if you've not done so before.

If you buy the paper regularly already, print off all of this information, and save your money tomorrow. Read these articles instead. If you still want to buy that paper the following day I would be surprised.

The boycott of The Sun goes back to April 1989. At the time of writing that is almost 17 years ago. On April 15th 1989 a disaster took place which resulted in the deaths of ninety-six Liverpool supporters at Hillsborough, the home ground of Sheffield Wednesday, during an FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest. Ninety-six people had their lives crushed out of them. Many more are said to have ended their own lives since as a consequence of that disaster. A lot of injustices came out of that disaster, far too many to list here. For more information visit the Hillsborough Justice Campaign website at http://www.contrast.org/hillsborough and please try to support them.

This article concentrates on one piece of injustice that could so easily have been avoided. That could so easily have been made a little better, if not fixed, in the intervening years. Lies were printed as fact in a British newspaper, and that newspaper has still not made an unconditional apology for what it printed. Its editor of the time has never made an unconditional apology in all of that time.

The headlines and sub-headlines on the front page of The Sun newspaper on the Wednesday following the disaster were as follows:

“The Truth.
Some fans picked pockets of victims
Some fans urinated on the brave cops
Some fans beat up PC giving kiss of life.”

So just four days after their loved ones had died, four days after they had narrowly escaped death themselves, Liverpool supporters were confronted with those headlines. People actually believed those headlines. Those who were there did not believe the headlines of course, nor did those who knew people who had been there. Unfortunately though a lot of people did believe those headlines; people who were not Liverpool supporters, perhaps supporters of another team or people who did not follow football at all. The headlines sewed seeds in so many people’s minds that the 96 supporters died at the hands of their own kind. All lies, all proven to be lies, yet never put right by that publication.

For more on the media coverage, visit http://www.contrast.org/hillsborough/history/media.shtm,
http://football.guardian.co.uk and Wikipedia .

The Wikipedia article says: “The story accompanying these headlines claimed that ‘drunken Liverpool fans viciously attacked rescue workers as they tried to revive victims’ and ‘police officers, firemen and ambulance crew were punched, kicked and urinated upon’. A quote, attributed to an unnamed policeman, claimed that a dead girl had been abused and that Liverpool fans ‘were openly urinating on us and the bodies of the dead’.”

Read that last bit again, it really was printed in a national newspaper.

Liverpool legend and the manager of the club at the time Kenny Dalglish was greatly affected by the tragedy. He attended numerous funerals and visited people in hospital, some of whom were in comas; he spent time with those that had lost their loved ones. In his autobiography he talks about the Disaster and recalls the media coverage:

“The press coverage was difficult to comprehend, particularly the publication of pictures which added to people's distress. There was one photograph of two girls right up against the Leppings Lane fence, their faces pressed into the wire. Nobody knows how they escaped. They used to come to Melwood every day, looking for autographs, and that photograph upset everyone there because we knew them. After seeing that I couldn't look at the papers again.

When the Sun came out with the story about Liverpool fans being drunk and unruly, underneath a headline 'The Truth,' the reaction on Merseyside was one of complete outrage. Newsagents stopped stocking the Sun. People wouldn't mention its name. They were burning copies of it. Anyone representing the Sun was abused. Sun reporters and photographers would lie, telling people they worked for the Liverpool Post and Echo. There was a lot of harassment of them because of what had been written. The Star had gone a bit strong as well but they apologised the next day. They knew the story had no foundation. Kelvin MacKenzie, the Sun's editor, even called me up.

“How can we correct the situation?” he said.

“You know that big headline – ‘The Truth’?” I replied. “All you have to do is put ‘We lied’ in the same size. Then you might be all right.”

Mackenzie said: “I cannot do that.”

“Well,” I replied, “I cannot help you then.”

That was it. I put the phone down. Merseysiders were outraged by the Sun. A great many still are.

There is no excuse for buying or reading The Sun. None whatsoever. If you read that newspaper, or worse still you buy that newspaper, after reading this article and those other articles that are linked to, then you are not fit to call yourself a Red. If you support another team, you should still be able to see why that newspaper should be boycotted. No matter what competitions they are running. Regardless of any “exclusives” they claim to have, even if it is the only paper left in the shop. Saying you bought it to get some tokens to help your daughter’s school to buy a new computer is not going to get you off the hook. It’s really simple:

Don’t buy the Sun.

http://www.anfieldroad.com/
Last edited by Leonmc0708 on Thu May 18, 2006 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Thu May 18, 2006 4:56 pm

Keep it in this part of the forum, people need to know, it should be locked at the top of the page

Fair play Leon
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Thu May 18, 2006 5:10 pm

too right..buy or read this s.*i*e and you lose all credibility as a true supporter..just for the record leon

http://www.liverpoolfc-newkit.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=15342

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby adamnbarrett » Thu May 18, 2006 5:16 pm

Let the message ring load and clear Leon
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Fri May 19, 2006 3:06 am

Spot on Leon, there is no excuse. Liverpool fans need to educate themselves if they don't know about it. If supporters overseas like myself know about it (I won't read anything on the web which mentions the S*n, and i sure as hell didn't buy it while I was over there this year) then English fans of this club must be able to know about it.

As you said if you know about they boycott but still choose to read/buy the S*n you shouldn't be supporting this club.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Fri May 19, 2006 4:03 am

hear hear
Not even worth being cage litter for the budgie to sh.t on
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby luvliverpool » Fri May 19, 2006 5:46 am

This may seem like a long shot but is there no way we can try and take the Sun to court for that word called "slander" and "breach of human rights"??

Then maybe they will print WE LIED all over their front pages.............this for me would not stop the boycott but atleast get the ball rolling into them admitting they r lying cheating fcukin..........sorry cant go on its just pi55in me off thinkin about it.

Surely we can request they reveal their sources for the stories of :censored: they printed as "Freedon Of Information Act"??

Maybe I am totally off the mark and in dreamland but would be nice for the kunts to admit atleast 1nce that they lied and what they printed was utter bull5hit
Anfield The Home And Heart Of Football
luvliverpool

Postby babu » Fri May 19, 2006 5:55 am

luvliverpool wrote:This may seem like a long shot but is there no way we can try and take the Sun to court for that word called "slander" and "breach of human rights"??

Then maybe they will print WE LIED all over their front pages.............this for me would not stop the boycott but atleast get the ball rolling into them admitting they r lying cheating fcukin..........sorry cant go on its just pi55in me off thinkin about it.

Surely we can request they reveal their sources for the stories of :censored: they printed as "Freedon Of Information Act"??

Maybe I am totally off the mark and in dreamland but would be nice for the kunts to admit atleast 1nce that they lied and what they printed was utter bull5hit

www.contrast.org/hillsborough/

They have admitted that they printed lies, they just have not apologised unconditionally. I think they printed some rubbish last year before the Champions league final, which they claimed was an apology. It wasn't at all.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Fri May 19, 2006 5:58 am

That was a joke! All it was, was telling scousers to stop giving Rooney a hard time for selling his story to the the fukn S*n!

They have never apologised, and that pathetic attmept last year is exactly what you'd expect from the utter scum.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AussieKopite » Fri May 19, 2006 8:50 am

LFC #1 wrote:Spot on Leon, there is no excuse. Liverpool fans need to educate themselves if they don't know about it. If supporters overseas like myself know about it (I won't read anything on the web which mentions the S*n, and i sure as hell didn't buy it while I was over there this year) then English fans of this club must be able to know about it.

As you said if you know about they boycott but still choose to read/buy the S*n you shouldn't be supporting this club.

I know this guy I do a bit of work with. He showed me this article from a newspaper that he had printed from England. I saw on the front then that it was the S*n. I told him to throw it away and walked off. Since then I have explained it to him.
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Tue May 30, 2006 11:22 pm

koptalk in hot water.   :no
=============================================

Keep fighting against The Sun

Written by Will Jameson

Tuesday, 30 May 2006

The BBC have seen fit to reward Kelvin MacKenzie's performance as a past editor of the lie-infested Sun newspaper with a spot on their licence-fee funded radio network. This is obviously a cause of concern to Liverpool fans, in light of the lies the Sun printed about Liverpool Football Club in 1989. For more on that read "Don't Buy the Sun" from the links to the left.

A few internet forums have featured details of ways to complain to the BBC about the situation, along with updates of any replies they've received. Rather than us repeating the same information, it's better we supply you with a couple of the forums that are featuring this information.
Red and White Kop and The Liverpool Way.

Now we would think that, except perhaps for some younger Liverpool fans, it would be pretty obvious that buying or reading The Sun is wrong and feels wrong for any Liverpool fan. To buy it is an insult to those ninety-six fans who died, and to their families and friends. It is an insult to fans who were there too. To visit their website is just an alternative way of carrying out the insult, as is quoting something as trivial as transfer gossip from them. We've had emails to this site from fans of other clubs who agree with and understand our boycott of The Sun. So we were extremely disappointed to find that a certain other so-called Liverpool website finds the boycott of The Sun to be childish, in fact "pathetic" was one word used.

We came across this thanks to a blog that's been set up by one of their disgruntled members. We've checked the blog's claims and they are certainly talking about some genuine posts that appeared on the forum from the website owner himself. We rarely read the other site to be honest, pretty much because of the reasons found in earlier posts on that blog, but we want to lend our support to their call for a boycott of that site. The site is Koptalk, and we say that you should avoid visiting that site at all costs due to their Sun sympathies.

For more on what was said by the Koptalk editor, Duncan Oldham from Scarborough / Newcastle, see: Boycott Koptalk and Locked Thread, two posts from the blog we mentioned.

It's important that The Sun and Kelvin MacKenzie aren't allowed to get away with the lies they peddled 17 years ago. Remember - there has never been an apology for the lies.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby 65-1149024436 » Tue May 30, 2006 11:31 pm

As an Everton fan, I would not buy the sun.

It was the whole of Liverpool City they attacked and think after 20 years they can apologise.

I hope they rot in hell!

(I lost an uncle at the disaster)
65-1149024436

Postby Reinas No.1 Fan » Wed May 31, 2006 12:53 am

Andrew Johnson wrote:As an Everton fan, I would not buy the sun.

It was the whole of Liverpool City they attacked and think after 20 years they can apologise.

I hope they rot in hell!

(I lost an uncle at the disaster)

Well said mate.
Liverpool FC
Reinas No.1 Fan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Wed May 31, 2006 1:11 am

Well done Leon.I remember their headline very well and it just rubbed salt into the wounds of Hillsborough.Im not from Liverpool,but it felt like they had given me a massive kick in the ball.s.I cant begin to understand how scousers felt.

I dont expect them to say "we lied" on the front page,but "we are sorry" would possibly heal some of the wounds.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Wed May 31, 2006 12:25 pm

To be an honest its not just Liverpool (&Everton) fans who should boycott it, I don't see why any football fan wouldn't find it disgusting. If they had said that about Man Utd fans I would still find it disgraceful.

LFC should give the boycott more publicity as even non football fans should be ashamed to support such a paper.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion