Champions League last 4 Semi Finals

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Klopptomaniac » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:13 am

I agree Boocity, out of the 3 Roma are the most likely to play a compact game. As above I'd be more comfortable playing Madrid rather than Juve for the same reason.
Klopptomaniac
LFC Advanced Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:37 am

I wanted Madrid to go out, yes they looked vulnerable defensively last night but Sergio Ramos was suspended.
Personally speaking I'm hoping we draw Roma in the Semi's, yes they will be an incredibly tough nut to crack and yes they showed against Barca just how gutsy they are but the fact remains that they are clinging onto 4th place in Serie A by a single point, they are miles behind the top 2.
When you look at the XI that beat Barca they are getting on a bit as well, they have the likes of Dzeko and Kolarov who are 32 and 33 respectively, Di Rossi is 35, Nainggolan turns 30 next month and Fazio is 31. Half their team is over 30.
Barca's passing style probably suited them but I'm not sure our high tempo style would, I think we could run the legs off them.
At this stage no one is easy though.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Reg » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:15 pm

Good points Yakka.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:33 pm

Ye, good points both yakka and boocity. Sh*t, there really isn't an easy opponent at this stage.

Well I wouldn't want Real in the final if we get there, that I know for sure. Would much rather face them in a two leg game. Bayern in the final would be ideal IMO.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:35 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:37 am wrote:I wanted Madrid to go out, yes they looked vulnerable defensively last night but Sergio Ramos was suspended.
Personally speaking I'm hoping we draw Roma in the Semi's, yes they will be an incredibly tough nut to crack and yes they showed against Barca just how gutsy they are but the fact remains that they are clinging onto 4th place in Serie A by a single point, they are miles behind the top 2.
When you look at the XI that beat Barca they are getting on a bit as well, they have the likes of Dzeko and Kolarov who are 32 and 33 respectively, Di Rossi is 35, Nainggolan turns 30 next month and Fazio is 31. Half their team is over 30.
Barca's passing style probably suited them but I'm not sure our high tempo style would, I think we could run the legs off them.
At this stage no one is easy though.

Apparently Ramos is in line for another match ban for leaving the stands and having a go at the Juve manager, that makes Real significantly weaker for the first leg. The thing about Roma having older players is it is their last hurrah and that could go both ways. I just hate playing defensive teams that park the bus ( and they will) and I'm not sure what the impact  will be to Salah playing against his old team.

I feel that to beat Real we will need the Anfield effect and they will be harder to beat in a one match format if we meet them in the final. Beat them now so we don't have to meet them in the final. I'd like Munich in the final as I think that Klopp will have their number.

The last time there was an English, Italian, German and Spanish team in the semis of the CL, Liverpool went on to lift the trophy. As it happened we beat Munich in the semis and Real Madrid in the final. Let's hope that is an Omen.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:38 pm

A consideration of the Real Madrid possible draw, is whether we would prefer to face them over one leg (final) or two legs (semi). It is inevitable that we will probably have to face them to win the Champions league trophy.
A second leg at Anfield versus that lot would be epic. I'd prefer to face them in the semis than the final at a neutral venue.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:17 am

We want the easiest possible route into the final and that's Roma, say we do draw Madrid in the semi's what happens if we beat them? We then probably run into Bayern in the final!
Playing Roma in the semi's then either Madrid/Bayern in the final is a lot easier than having to play Madrid and Bayern back to back which is what will happen if we don't draw Roma tomorrow.
Knowing us we'll probably get Real Madrid with the second leg at the Bernabeu anyway so all this discussion is immaterial.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:17 am

Roma would be a tough draw for us yakka over 2 legs. They are defensive and physical which isn't a style we play well against.

They are all tough sides in fairness. Real should have went out last night but again they seem to get massive decisions in this competition.  It would be Bayern for me Yakka as Klopp knows them inside out. I know it was early enough for them when we met pre-season but they did have a good side out and we still wiped the floor with them.

I would fancy our chances better against one of the other two in a one off game.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Klopptomaniac » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:29 am

Exactly the draw I'm expecting Yakka. Might be the pessimist in me but we're gonna get stitched up with the toughest draw we can get and that's Madrid away second leg.

EDIT: Any draw with us at home second leg is a good draw. As I'm going I sort of want Real Madrid - I won't get to many European games in my time so the chance to see Real Madrid is pretty appealing.
Last edited by Klopptomaniac on Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Klopptomaniac
LFC Advanced Member

Postby only me » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:40 am

I think after City in a 2 match battle we should be confident against any draw...This year it must be ours.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby Klopptomaniac » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:18 am

Apparently AS Roma were advertising tickets for the semi final vs Liverpool on the 2nd May...
Klopptomaniac
LFC Advanced Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:40 am

Klopptomaniac » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:18 am wrote:Apparently AS Roma were advertising tickets for the semi final vs Liverpool on the 2nd May...

To be fair Roma probably want to draw us as much as we want to draw them, out of the 4 teams left in we are probably 3rd favourites to win it. Not that all that means much anyway, at one point the likes of PSG, Barca and City were all favourites to win it and it didn't do them much good.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Eagle » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:48 am

I'm sure UEFA would like us to get Bayern and Roma to get Madrid. It's written.
Eagle

Postby Reg » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:28 am

Eagle » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:48 pm wrote:I'm sure UEFA would like us to get Bayern and Roma to get Madrid. It's written.

LFC are the warm ball mate, Bayern's is the rough one, sand papered just before it went in the bag.  B'stards....  :ghostface:
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby only me » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:16 pm

And to Roma we go :D
only me
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion