BRAD JONES

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby kartiek » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:15 am

I'm not sure if Brad Jones already has an official thread or not. If there is one, I apologize, please merge this post into that thread.

I think he did superbly well against Reading. He made one very good save one on one with their striker in the second half. I thought he met all crosses with aplomb and I thought we finally looked so much more assured when it came to crosses and corners!

As good as Reina is, I think it's plain to see that he hasn't been performing at his best. I think one weakness of his is clearly his inability to handle crosses properly. I've not seen him come out and catch a ball properly with his hands in a long while. At best, he punches the ball out, and not too far at that. This was his weakness always, and I think now it's just coming back to haunt him. I get the feeling that had Reina been one on one yesterday, he would have stayed in goal, and we would seen a tame effort to save the ball, and an enraged Reina shouting at his defenders.

Anyway, this thread is about Brad Jones. So here's hoping that this lad is going to take this chance, we'll get to see more of him, and he's going to turn out to be an excellent goalkeeper for us! Best of luck Brad!
kartiek

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:53 am

I agree that Jones had a good game but I totally disagree that Reina would have stayed put for the one on one, Reina may be weakest at crosses but his main strength is shot stopping.

Jones will always be a reserve keeper of us. The Reading game was good for him but he does not fill me with confidence a all.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:13 am

I've always liked the guy, even before we bought him, while he used to play for Middlesbrough, but I don't think he should be starting ahead of Reina. League Cup and Europa League would be enough for him to play.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:05 pm

i like the way jones comes for crosses too, grobbellaar was brilliant at it, yeah every season brucey would drop 3 or 4 and they`d end up in the net but thats because he litterally came for every high ball into the area.
over 42 league games grobbellaar probably came for 250+ crosses so dropping 3 or 4 wasnt a bad ratio. especially considering the players back then could challenge the keeper and brucey was up against bruisers like john fashanu, graeme sharpe, andy gray, mick harford etc etc
grobbellaar knew that if hansen and lawrenson had one weakness it was they werent great in the air (they werent bad but they werent great either) so he`d help them out as much as he could.
personally i think i`d rather see jones in goal for the derby, it looks like fellaini will be back and although in the recent past we`ve had the likes of the under rated soto and andy carroll to keep him quiet i think sunday could be a different story, like united when they went to goodison without vidic earlier on in the season we havent got anyone at the club to compete with felliani physically so we might struggle in the air like united did.
i think jones is better than reina under the high ball and our defenders are going to need all the help they can get on sunday.
moyes isnt soft, he knows carroll isnt there (carroll dominated fellaini in the air in all 3 meetings last season) so he`s going to play direct.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby stmichael » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:18 pm

lets not get ahead of ourselves. he was excellent at the weekend and was decent everton in the cup semi final. he did drop a clanger against west brom in the cup however and had an absolute shocker away at blackburn last season. he's still very much second choice.

it'll be interesting to see if reina plays in the week though with the derby coming up.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:19 pm

Pepe over Jones every day of the week !

Jones did ok but he is a massive mistake ready to happen- one game doesn't make him better than Pepe in any area

Jones has prob dropped more glangers in a game than Pepe has in his career.

The main negative is Jones gives Allen a sore neck watching the ball fly high in the air to three small forwards.
Benny The Noon

Postby Ben Patrick » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:39 pm

He had a good game Saturday but he doesnt fill me with confidence.

The main positive if he can play as well as he did Saturday would be that it might give Pepe a kick up the erse.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:51 pm

stmichael » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:18 pm wrote:lets not get ahead of ourselves. he was excellent at the weekend and was decent everton in the cup semi final. he did drop a clanger against west brom in the cup however and had an absolute shocker away at blackburn last season. he's still very much second choice.

it'll be interesting to see if reina plays in the week though with the derby coming up.

jones was actually fouled against west brom, he got a smack in the mouth when he went up for the ball but surprise surprise he didnt get the decision.
and reina has cost us a lot more goals recently than jones has, the one he let in against hearts was a joke, he let cazorla`s shot go under him against arsenal and spilled a shot into the path of a norwich player at carrow road as well.
even against city, kelly got the blame for misscontrolling the ball but he saw it late because reina came flying out and flapped at the cross.
in normal circumstances reina is a better keeper than jones but he`s not in good form and even at the best of times his achilles heel has always been crosses and high balls.
i think we are going to get bombarded with crosses on sunday and i cant see agger and skrtel being able to deal with fellaini, i`d rather have jones in goal on sunday.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:00 pm

Benny The Noon » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:19 pm wrote:Jones has prob dropped more glangers in a game than Pepe has in his career.

that might have been true 18 months ago, reina has dropped clanger after clanger recently and in big games too, the first goal he let in in the F.A cup final was a joke.
infact his bad run has lasted longer than 18 months, it`s over 2 years now, it started in hodgsons first game incharge against arsenal at home, we were down to ten men after cole got set off but the players put in a great shift and we actually went 1 nil up, with about 30 seconds left on the clock reina spilled a bog standard cross onto the head of van persie and he hasnt been the same keeper since.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby stmichael » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:14 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:51 pm wrote:i think we are going to get bombarded with crosses on sunday and i cant see agger and skrtel being able to deal with fellaini, i`d rather have jones in goal on sunday.

I thought Fellaini was injured?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby LFC1990 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:32 pm

Fellani injured pienaar suspended

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:28 pm

i`m sure i read in the echo or somewhere that everton expect fellaini to be back for the derby.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby laza » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:56 am

Got a soft spot for my fellow Aussie as I used to serve in same RAAF unit as his brother and was glad to see him have a good afternoon.

However for me he makes a good sturdy understudy  whose performancesI hope  stay solid to  give Pepe a motivational kick up the pants
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Octsky » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:57 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:00 pm wrote:
Benny The Noon » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:19 pm wrote:Jones has prob dropped more glangers in a game than Pepe has in his career.

that might have been true 18 months ago, reina has dropped clanger after clanger recently and in big games too, the first goal he let in in the F.A cup final was a joke.
infact his bad run has lasted longer than 18 months, it`s over 2 years now, it started in hodgsons first game incharge against arsenal at home, we were down to ten men after cole got set off but the players put in a great shift and we actually went 1 nil up, with about 30 seconds left on the clock reina spilled a bog standard cross onto the head of van persie and he hasnt been the same keeper since.

ya for a "top player", reina was beaten at the near post too many times
Octsky
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:58 pm

jones retains his place for anzhi. reina ruled out.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion