ALEX OXLADE-CHAMBERLAIN - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:04 pm

maguskwt » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:11 pm wrote:Always said that I like Ox even when he was at Arsenal. He was supposed to have better potential Walcott. But injuries and not having game time really scuppered his growth there. It seems like he is in the league forever but he is still only 24. If Klopp could get the best out of him and if he put his injuries behind, the money that we paid for him would've been considered a steal. But then again if he turns out to be like Sturridge, then the return on investment wouldn't have been too good.

Injuries aside if he was good enough then he would have played more for Arsenal.  In terms of injuries though he will suffer as he has a lot of pace and at full pelt it only takes a slight tip to do damage. That's just the type of player he is and there is no reason why he can't have a decent career here. I wouldn't think we will ever turn a profit on what we paid though as he was vastly overpriced to begin with.
The type of performance he put in the other day isn't because he now plays for us, He played plenty of good games for Arsenal and had he being more consistent then he would have played more so he still has to overcome that hurdle imo.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:38 pm

I wonder if he will feature v arsenal.
I think Klopp can get an extra 20/30% effort out of him, he could really be a match for the fab four in the starting line up stakes.

I'd play him ahead of Hendo or Can anyway

Only trouble is, he's not much of a finisher. He could do with improving his scoring ratio.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby Boocity » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:09 pm

If he continues his improvement and manages to secure a starting place then he would make a better captain than Henderson
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:10 pm

Boocity » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:09 pm wrote:If he continues his improvement and manages to secure a starting place then he would make a better captain than Henderson

I agree
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:45 pm

Just won 5-0 and this guy is saying "we could have done better"...

Great attitude. Hope he continues to improve because he is starting to look like the player who shone bright at Southampton all those years ago
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:38 am

7_Kewell » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:45 pm wrote:Just won 5-0 and this guy is saying "we could have done better"...

Great attitude. Hope he continues to improve because he is starting to look like the player who shone bright at Southampton all those years ago

Amen :p

Him and Lallana I would play in preference to Hendo, Milner and Can.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby Reg » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:07 pm

All credit to the lad, he's coming on in leaps and bounds.

I wasn't sure when we signed him but he has massive untapped potential and Klopp's going to use it to full advantage.

Clearly the lad's having the time of his life so let's hope he convinces other under performing talents to come over to the Reds!
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:15 pm

Reg » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:07 am wrote:All credit to the lad, he's coming on in leaps and bounds.

I wasn't sure when we signed him but he has massive untapped potential and Klopp's going to use it to full advantage.

Clearly the lad's having the time of his life so let's hope he convinces other under performing talents to come over to the Reds!

Agreed with the sentiments Reg. Hopefully he can avoid the injury table...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:15 pm

I have been a tad harsh on him but he was very good yesterday and also put in good shifts in his few previous games. He has certainly done himself no harm in holding down a starting spot. He is also much stronger on the ball and on his feet so gets the nod ahead of Lallana for me.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:26 am

I think the lad should be starting more games than not, I don't really want to see him on the bench too often, he's too quick and powerful, and a waste of his talent sitting as substitute, instead of Hendo, Can or Milner.

Next season, my midfield three would be Oxlade-Chamberlain, keita and Wjnaldum. Or Lallana in there as well, somewhere.

It also depends if Jurgen buys any other players (like Lemar etc)
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:45 am

Last nights performance was poor. Not singling him out for a poor team performance or anything but give the lad a bit of space to run into and he plays well but when he hasn't got the time on the ball he struggles to do the basics.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:57 pm

My gut feeling is he'll run hot and cold.
The goal he scored v man city may have been a flash in the pan, so whether he can fill Coutinhos shoes or not, remains to be seen.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby maguskwt » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:21 am

Had a very good game against Newcastle. He is going from strength to strength. What is encouraging is he seems to buy into Klopp's philosophy. You can see him working hard and he has a good engine. I dont mind him playing as CM, albeit abit more advanced, at all. If he could strike a good partnership with Keita, i think our midfield will start to look good!
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:32 am

Coming around to him and I think he is developing a lot more under Klopp than he was under Wenger. Once again I'll say that I think we are better defensively with him in the team than we were with Coutinho. I'm not sure that he is the permanent solution but I am impressed with his attitude and industry as if you have those two you will get better.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:32 pm

All credit to the lad, Klopp offered him a second chance at Anfield and the lad's grasped the opportunity with both hands. He's not a superstar but he is the kind of player who over time will become the back bone of the team like Sammy Lee or Terry Mac.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion