After 29 LONG years, this is finally our season

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby eds » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:34 am

We are going to look back at this moment lads at the end of the season:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/45200783

Early reports saying he will be out for 4-6 months. City won't be able to plug that massive hole they now have without him.

We are never going to be in a better position to win the title.

THIS IS WHERE IT ALL BEGAN.

:buttrock  :buttrock  :buttrock
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby redshade » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:48 am

ttps://www.mancity.com/fixtures/first-team

4-6 month is almost half of the season so potentially he may miss all the big games.

City will do well without him however we can't deny his class and how he can win games. It will be interesting to see how they do without him.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Klopptomaniac » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:34 am

City are still too strong. Delete thread, or at least change it's name.
Klopptomaniac
LFC Advanced Member

Postby eds » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:50 am

Not going to change the thread, I really believe this is our season.

(Being in my 30s) I have supported this side since the early 90s and have NEVER felt as optimistic as I feel right now at De Bryne's misfortune.

You would be absolutely silly to discount the 12 goals and 21 assists he produced last season won't be missed.

It's an unmitigated catastrophe for them, no matter how strong they are.
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

eds

Postby damjan193 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:45 am

Never felt he was missing against Arsenal. Their best player for sure but City's alternatives for him on their bench will make his absence almost unnoticable.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:05 am

Bit premature eds... We've only played one game!

In the past seasons we've been our own worst enemy, and have drawn too many matches and thrown away leads in matches dropping too many points.

To win the title, we have to consistently win games. City have got a huge set back, but if one of our players like Salah got a big lay off also, suddenly the complexion changes again.

One game at a time folks..
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby Klopptomaniac » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:08 am

eds » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:50 am wrote:Not going to change the thread, I really believe this is our season.

(Being in my 30s) I have supported this side since the early 90s and have NEVER felt as optimistic as I feel right now at De Bryne's misfortune.

You would be absolutely silly to discount the 12 goals and 21 assists he produced last season won't be missed.

This is arguably the best set up I've seen during my time supporting Liverpool and in any other season I'd be buzzing with optimism, HOWEVER...

We also have the best side the Premier League has seen in City. The most expensive, the one with the most depth, and arguably the best manager in the world.

It'll take a massive effort to usurp City this season. They repeat last seasons feat and we can't be expected to match it.
Klopptomaniac
LFC Advanced Member

Postby Eagle » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:06 am

Man City will win it and most likely do it with a couple of games to spare. Losing De Bruyne for a couple of months is a blow but unless they have an injury crisis I can't see anyone stopping them. It comes down to quality options in depth and our squad is still behind their's. Fekir and one more front 3 option and we would have been there or thereabouts.
Last edited by Eagle on Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eagle

Postby Klopptomaniac » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:34 am

IMO the injuries required to City relate to Fernandinho and Gundogan. Lose their midfield anchors and they could be in trouble. The gap De Bruyne leaves can be plugged.
Klopptomaniac
LFC Advanced Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:55 am

It's never nice to see any player get a serious injury especially one as classy as De Bruyne. He is a Liverpool fan don't forget! Personally if we are going to beat them I'd rather beat them fair and square.
Incidentally I think the biggest factor that could be in our favour is not any potential injuries but the World Cup, City had 23 players at the tournament where we only had something like 6 or 7 (and most of those didn't get very far or barely played).
I can see City starting well but i think it will be very difficult for them to repeat what they did last year off the back of a shortened summer for most of their players. IMO we just need to hang onto their coat tails until about late January early February, that's when I can see fatigue kicking in, if we are still within say 6 points of them at that stage I think we'll have a great chance.
Don't forget as good as they are winning the league takes a lot of of you, no one has defended the title since Ferguson did it a decade ago, they will do extremely well to put two 100 point seasons together either side of a World Cup.
We just need to make sure they don't get too far away from us between now and Christmas. We can put pressure on them and fatigue them mentally by staying on their shoulder.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:36 pm

I think that us winning the title this year ( and I think we will) is less about injuries to other players but rather injuries to our own. I really think that we are the strongest team this year and will dominate most teams as long as we steer clear of injuries, whether KDB is fit or not. This is the best team we have had in 30 years or so and is absolutely good enough to win the title this year, we need luck to do it however and that means no significant injuries. That is something you cannot predict however, we can only hope.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:00 pm

We have to be careful what we wish for...

Yes City have got an injury to a player, but we have had them also....Clyne, Lallana, and now the OX.   If Salah or VVD got a big injury lay off, suddenly we will be up Sh*t Creek.

I'm not even sure if we can win the league title, there are still a lot of question marks over our squad that need answering. Players like Lallana, Shaqiri , Mane, VVD etc have never got anywhere near winning the Prem.

I would take a second place and finishing above UTD this season, winning the FA Cup, and a good run in the Champions League again, as a sign of Success.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:47 pm

eds » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:50 am wrote:Not going to change the thread, I really believe this is our season.

:laugh:   :laugh:   :laugh:

Ed's, I love your optimism, and I agree that this could very well be the best chance we've had in a long time to clinch the title

BUT

To suggest that one opposition player (De Bryne) was the key that stood between us and the title is absolute ***** !

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby redshade » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:55 pm

Ghost of Shankly » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:00 pm wrote:We have to be careful what we wish for...

Yes City have got an injury to a player, but we have had them also....Clyne, Lallana, and now the OX.   If Salah or VVD got a big injury lay off, suddenly we will be up Sh*t Creek.

I'm not even sure if we can win the league title, there are still a lot of question marks over our squad that need answering. Players like Lallana, Shaqiri , Mane, VVD etc have never got anywhere near winning the Prem.

I would take a second place and finishing above UTD this season, winning the FA Cup, and a good run in the Champions League again, as a sign of Success.

Yup a good title challenge and a fekin cup will do i want a damn trophy this season.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby eds » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:27 am

FFS didn't Leicester f**king City win the premiership only a few seasons ago.

If they can do it, there is no reason why we can't unsurp City this season.

Let's try and show some positivity on the strongest team we have had in 3 decades and try get behind our club yeah?  :no

:help

eds

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion