4th spot playoffs for champions league

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Rush Job » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:53 pm

lakes10 wrote:i back Rafa on what he has said....but i again wish he had said nothing, others are going to take it that he is worried that we always be the team in the play off and not getting the top spots.

Dont talk soft lakes. What, you agree with what he said so you have to find another angle to have a go.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:27 pm

Owzat wrote:
neil wrote:I think theres something being overlooked here,

Not by me it wasn't, I raised this....

I challenge you to prove it.  :D
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:32 pm

Lets also do playoffs for the bottom 7 to see who gets relegated, and playoffs for the middle lot, why not?

Getting stoopid now
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:33 pm

lakes10 wrote:i back Rafa on what he has said....but i again wish he had said nothing, others are going to take it that he is worried that we always be the team in the play off and not getting the top spots.

you talk some garbage...

Benitez asked a question and he ridicules the idea and you put your pathetic spin on it

If the premier league ever try to do this, which I don't think they will, then this country will have it's 4th place removed...see Platini's gleeful smile
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby supersub » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:34 pm

can you imagine how many players will be rested by teams safe in the knowledge that they had grabbed a play off place....
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby heimdall » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:39 pm

supersub wrote:can you imagine how many players will be rested by teams safe in the knowledge that they had grabbed a play off place....

Sorry but why would that be a problem?
heimdall

Postby neil » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:06 pm

supersub wrote:

you talk some garbage...

Benitez asked a question and he ridicules the idea and you put your pathetic spin on it

If the premier league ever try to do this, which I don't think they will, then this country will have it's 4th place removed...see Platini's gleeful smile

However when the sky sports news presenter referred to the upcoming VTR he said " coming up next...surprise surprise Rafa benitez is against the 4th place play-offs" which made my blood boil.
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby agoodmentality » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:11 am

s@int wrote:
agoodmentality wrote:
Lee J wrote:I've always thought the 2 big mistakes that the authorities made were...

1. renaming it from the 'European Cup'
2. allowing 3rd and 4th place teams to enter it.

I know that means we'd of missed some seasons CL footie but it's too easy to get into now and the name is sh1t

I really do think the 4th place team in the Prem is better than the Champions of Latvia or Macedonia.

Including 3rd and 4th place teams from bigger leagues really does strengthen the competition.

It would be a much weaker competition if only Champions were involved.

The same arguement could also be applied to the World Cup. No doubt the second strongest team from Spain, Brazil, France, Holland ......maybe even England would be much stronger than some team from Estonia or NewZealand ...... wouldn't be a World Cup though would it ?

FIFA already do this with their inter-continental play-off matches.

The bottom line is we, the viewing public want to see the best players in the biggest tournaments.

compare the 1/4 finalists, and the teams that were beaten in the 2 campaigns below.

1.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki....-finals

2.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986%E2%80%9387_European_Cup
I've watched my Heroes throught the slats at Melwood,,
I've STOOD on the KOP,,
I've cried for the 96 ,,

Don't EVER question my loyalty or support.

YNWA
agoodmentality

Postby lakes10 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:53 am

neil wrote:
supersub wrote:

you talk some garbage...

However when the sky sports news presenter referred to the upcoming VTR he said " coming up next...surprise surprise Rafa benitez is against the 4th place play-offs" which made my blood boil.

and thats my point, he should have said nothing and left it to spurs or man city to be asked it.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:15 am

NANNY RED wrote:MADNESS. BUT SKY WILL LOVE IT.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/footbal....-league

that will be a complete non-starter

UEFA will not downgrade the trophy anymore than they have already

i think they should bring back the european cup proper - only the champions should be able to compete in it, otherwise we have a mini euro super league, which is what uefa didnt want, but in reality have sort of now
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:26 am

neil wrote:
Owzat wrote:

Owzat wrote:one reason not mentioned (that I could see in a scan read) is that the fourth spot is not a right that can't be taken away. We get it at the moment, but we start throwing two bit teams at the competition and we could quickly lose it.

:rasp
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:39 am

agoodmentality wrote:
s@int wrote:The same arguement could also be applied to the World Cup. No doubt the second strongest team from Spain, Brazil, France, Holland ......maybe even England would be much stronger than some team from Estonia or NewZealand ...... wouldn't be a World Cup though would it ?

FIFA already do this with their inter-continental play-off matches.

The bottom line is we, the viewing public want to see the best players in the biggest tournaments.

compare the 1/4 finalists, and the teams that were beaten in the 2 campaigns below.

1.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki....-finals

2.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986%E2%80%9387_European_Cup

There is a fine balance between keeping it a "WORLD Cup" or the "CHAMPIONS League" and sustaining the quality of teams in the finals. I believe that Oceania is a nonsense region and should follow Australia into Asia to become Australasia or some such zone. Five African teams now qualify, one of if not THE biggest benefactors of the upgrade from 24 to 32 teams, and barring one or two runs they do FA every time. CONCACAF is basically so weak they send USA and Mexico every time and they do FA as well, perhaps they would benefit from a N&S America zone. Barring Brazil, Argentina and Europe none of the other zones are really strong and that is reflected in the fact that they are the only two zones to be represented in the final.

I'm all for World representation and as such I think more inter-zonal play-offs should replace intra-zonal play-offs, in fact I strongly believe that less automatic places should be awarded and there should be a limit on the number of games - the all-play-all South American qualifiers are a long-winded joke to establish Brazil, Argentina and two others qualify.

As for the Champions League, I'd rather they reduced participating teams to two from each country maximum with the winners given a place. Go back to the Cup Winners Cup as a competition, throw in runners-up with a place and then the UEFA Cup might be a stronger competition with no dropouts from the Champions League wanted or needed.

Sure the Champions of say Latvia or Luxembourg are weaker than most Premiership sides, but they are Champions and some teams that play in the Champions League could conceivably never have won their domestic league. spudz have only ever won the league twice, if we did do play-offs then Fulham could win that and be the first non-Champions to play in it - assuming there are no others from other countries like Spain (scoots off to check Villarreal et al)

EDIT : I believe Villarreal have never won La Liga so Fulham wouldn't be the first, perhaps it should be called the (you don't ever have to have been) Champions League
Last edited by Owzat on Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:21 am

Owzat wrote:
neil wrote:
Owzat wrote:

Owzat wrote:one reason not mentioned (that I could see in a scan read) is that the fourth spot should be given to two bit teams and they could win the competition.

:rasp

???
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sir Roger » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:09 pm

Bag of shi'te!
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC2007 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:24 am

Owzat wrote:As for the Champions League, I'd rather they reduced participating teams to two from each country maximum with the winners given a place. Go back to the Cup Winners Cup as a competition, throw in runners-up with a place and then the UEFA Cup might be a stronger competition with no dropouts from the Champions League wanted or needed.

Sure the Champions of say Latvia or Luxembourg are weaker than most Premiership sides, but they are Champions and some teams that play in the Champions League could conceivably never have won their domestic league.

And there you were ripping into Unirea, Champions of Romania  :laugh:

"BUT THEY ARE CHAMPIONS"  :talktothehand
LFC2007

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion