4th spot playoffs for champions league

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Owzat » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:52 pm

neil wrote:I think theres something being overlooked here, the 4th spot is not the Premier leagues by right but a bonus invite due to coefficient success of Premier teams recent history, to wit as a result of Liverpool, man u, chelsea and everton...erm sorry arsenal constantly reaching the latter stages(all have a least 1 recent final under their belt) we keep 4 entrants whilst say Germany lose one and now only have 3. So what happens when one season wonders start taking up a champions league place after finishing in the top 7, Ipswich, West ham, Charlton etc, I'll tell you what happens- within 2 seasons Germany will be back upto 4 places and the likes of Everton will be crying about why the 3rd league place isnt up for grabs in a play off. rrrraaaaannnnttt over.

Not by me it wasn't, I raised this (probably elsewhere) when the daft idea of giving the place came up for the domestic cup (FA Cup)

That said, the rest of the leagues are in such a poor way and hardly setting Europe alight that the 'big three' could well carry the fourth spot like charity. Maybe they could rename it the European Charity Shield
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:27 pm

Champions should play in the European cup, runners up should play in the UEFA cup, if you aren't good enough to finish in the top 2, then you aren't good enough to be in European competition.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:46 pm

Big Niall wrote:Champions should play in the European cup, runners up should play in the UEFA cup, if you aren't good enough to finish in the top 2, then you aren't good enough to be in European competition.

I preferred the old set-up as well.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:19 pm

There is too much money in the present format to water it down now. But I agree it should be that way. They should divert more money into the Europa League, that way it will present a bigger insentive to teams challanging for it. Right now it is a joke.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:38 pm

Big Niall wrote:Champions should play in the European cup, runners up should play in the UEFA cup, if you aren't good enough to finish in the top 2, then you aren't good enough to be in European competition.

top 2, champions, eh  ???
Either you only have the team actually winning the league or you have the 4 teams that we have today.

The problem with only having the champions is that it would be fecking boring, every year it would either be the team from La Liga, Serie A or the Prem winning it, at least now there are more good teams from those leagues in the mix.
heimdall

Postby xxTorresxx » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:39 pm

Here's what Rafa made of it:

http://link.brightcove.com/service....9770001

Clearly not in favour of it :D
Last edited by xxTorresxx on Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xxTorresxx

Postby NANNY RED » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:59 pm

xxTorresxx wrote:Here's what Rafa made of it:

http://link.brightcove.com/service....9770001

Clearly not in favour of it :D

Thinks like me that Rafa fella,  :;):
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:47 pm

i back Rafa on what he has said....but i again wish he had said nothing, others are going to take it that he is worried that we always be the team in the play off and not getting the top spots.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:52 pm

Knowing the way Liverpool plays we'd be even lazier and shoot for 7th position gambling all on winning the qualifier.

How can the 7th team ffs take part in the CHAMPIONS competition?

Stooopid.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:54 pm

neil wrote:I think theres something being overlooked here, the 4th spot is not the Premier leagues by right but a bonus invite due to coefficient success of Premier teams recent history, to wit as a result of Liverpool, man u, chelsea and everton...erm sorry arsenal constantly reaching the latter stages(all have a least 1 recent final under their belt) we keep 4 entrants whilst say Germany lose one and now only have 3. So what happens when one season wonders start taking up a champions league place after finishing in the top 7, Ipswich, West ham, Charlton etc, I'll tell you what happens- within 2 seasons Germany will be back upto 4 places and the likes of Everton will be crying about why the 3rd league place isnt up for grabs in a play off. rrrraaaaannnnttt over.

I think that's a key factor. The league has a lot to lose if - over time - the co-efficient score means it loses the fourth qualification spot.
LFC2007

Postby NANNY RED » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:36 pm

lakes10 wrote:i back Rafa on what he has said....but i again wish he had said nothing, others are going to take it that he is worried that we always be the team in the play off and not getting the top spots.

Stop worrying about what others think about us i dont give a sh.it . Rafa is saying what everyone is thinking , feck the lot of them
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:43 pm

Tell it like it is, girl.  :laugh:
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:14 pm

Id probably expect Wenger and Ancelotti to even come out and back him tbh.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:26 pm

heimdall wrote:

top 2, champions, eh  ???
Either you only have the team actually winning the league or you have the 4 teams that we have today.

The problem with only having the champions is that it would be fecking boring, every year it would either be the team from La Liga, Serie A or the Prem winning it, at least now there are more good teams from those leagues in the mix.

read my post again. only champions should be in the EUROPEAN CUP. 2nd place gets the UEFA cup.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:31 pm

I think even then Nial UEFA would look at the leagues and think , there are 2 more positions worth of clubs all over Europe that could have generated a lot of money.

It should be domestic winners + winners of UEFA cup go into the Champions League. Places 2,3 and 4 (4th decided by a playoff between 4th & 5th) go into the UEFA cup.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion