The boxing thread - All talk about boxing past n present

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Mikz » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:47 am

Well, Ill open it as nobody else wants to lol

Here it is then...a chance for all to put a few words in on their favourite boxers old and new and most exciting fights past and yet to happen.

My question is- Who is your favourite boxer that you ever seen in your lifetime. For me that honour must go to the marvellous one -Marvin Hagler....simply awesome. He always went for destruction, and his words after the Tommy Hearns fight were -' I told ya Id eat him up like pacman'  He took them all on and won Roldan Hearns Minter Duran Mugabi ...only losing his final fight to Sugar Ray Leonard , controversially although he was below par on the night.Image
Last edited by Mikz on Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:01 am

Not really an avid lover of boxing but I do like Amir Khan. His best fight was against the scot a couple of months back and thought he was going to lose but he came back in that fight and both me and my missus was hooked (no pun intended !). Brilliant young fighter. I also liked Cassius Clay (Muhammed Ali, his momma named him clay ! ima gonna call him clay ! :D  ) In and out of the ring he had personality. Legend.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Yessicajax » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:02 am

rrrrrrrrrr  nice!!!
Last edited by Yessicajax on Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image
A.F.C.A ..... As Finishing touch...God created the Dutch!
Yessicajax

Postby 112-1077774096 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:17 am

john conteh, absolute legend, also i remember watching alan minter agaisnt vito antifuermo when minter ripped vitos face to shreds.

when i was about 9 or 10 conteh had a fight at liverpool stadium, he was fighting an american (i dont remember his name now). at the top of our street there was a boxong gym above a small matal fabricators workshop. the guy conteh was fighting trained in there before the fight, we were allowed in as kids to watch, it was great
112-1077774096

Postby Kharhaz » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:30 am

Liverpool had a boxer on there books, Joe Louis in 1944. Remember that from me centenary vid !
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:41 am

I remember Conteh Peewee, always wanted him to win, he just seemed so small for a light heavy weight. I remember he won superstars too lolImage
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:38 am

he was world champion mate at light heavy, quality fighter
112-1077774096

Postby NANNY RED » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:50 am

peewee wrote:john conteh, absolute legend, also i remember watching alan minter agaisnt vito antifuermo when minter ripped vitos face to shreds.

when i was about 9 or 10 conteh had a fight at liverpool stadium, he was fighting an american (i dont remember his name now). at the top of our street there was a boxong gym above a small matal fabricators workshop. the guy conteh was fighting trained in there before the fight, we were allowed in as kids to watch, it was great

I think the American boxer was a lad called Lenny Hutchins PeeWee, he fought him in the old Liverpool boxing stadium in town ,im sure it was the same year we won the European cup. The Americans stayed in the hotel i was working in town.
He was a really nice fella and i got tickets off him for the fight and we got invited to the after party. Thats were i met heavy weight boxer Gerry Quarry he as reporting on the fight for the Americans. All so there that night was a young Leon Spinks he was on the under card he looked like a pimp the way he was dressed :laugh:

I think one of the most underated boxers ive seen must be Evander Holyfield the man never got the great recognition he derserved he took on all comers and never shruged a fight ,

But i must say my all time favourite is Oscar De La Hoya
The man won titles in 6 different weight divisions over a period of 15 years. You have only got to look at some of the outstanding fighters he fought, Chavez two knockouts, Camacho, Gatti, two many to mention he defeated 6 world champions and as far as im concerned the man was robbed when he fought Mayweather.

the great man

HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:29 am

Hagler is my favourite ever fighter. did it the hard way, no flashy promotor to get him a title shot, he had over 40 fights before he got a shot and had been ducked for years. He was actually older than Ray Leonard when he "lost" (robbed in Vegas to the guy who was more box office - typical) and then Ray leonard would never fight him again - hate Leonard , defo doesn't deserve "sugar" label of Ray Robinson.

Roy Jones was the most physically gifted but I don't think he had the heart to fight the best out there in their prime,

Ali was good but is more famous for his personality, flaws in boxing are that he had no power, didn't body punch. Either Joe Louis or Jackson greatest heavyweight ever.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:30 am

oh yeah, bring back 15 rounds for title fights, and get rid of head gear and that points system in amateurs , it has ruined amateur boxing.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:20 am

Mikz wrote:I remember Conteh Peewee, always wanted him to win, he just seemed so small for a light heavy weight. I remember he won superstars too lol[img]

Good fighter Conteh was. I also like Peewee remember the Vito Antwefermo versus Minter fight. Didn't Antwefermo (or whatever the feck his name was) fight Hagler before Minter, get battered and they gave him a draw (maybe my memories playing tricks on me).

I remember when Hagler came over to the Uk to fight Minter and cut his face to ribbons, the crowd started throwing cans of beer into the ring for reasons best known to themselves.

As for Superstars, feck me I used to love that. Remember when Keegan came off the bike and ripped half his shoulder off? Imagine that today, European footballer of the year bombing round the running track on a Raleigh five speeder. Other memories of the series are that judo bloke Brian Jacks who was fairly average at judo but absolutely World Class at the dips. Feck me he could do about a hundred in a minute or something ridiculous. I do remember thinking at the time though that it was a bit pointless (the dips that is, not Superstars obviously) and there was always a sneaking suspicion that the permed tussler was actually just kind of rocking forward, as opposed to actually bending the arms. Trying them yourself, (given it is physically impossible to actually do one "dip" correctly in my painful experience) only confirmed that he was probably just a cheating cockney barsteward.

The other memory that sticks out form the series is of course Malcolm Macdonald in the sprint. Like Jacks, he was absolutely unbeatable in his "joker" event, (don't even get me started on "It's a knockout"), but actually fairly average at his actual sport. I don't know whether it is his unnerring speed or his impossibly bowed legs which stick in the memory the most.
Last edited by bigmick on Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:53 am

Riddick Bowe, that guy had a punch on him!!!

Last edited by Paul C on Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby burjennio » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:02 pm

When I was a kid I thought that Marvin Hagler and Eryl Brown from Hot Chocolate were the same person :D .The Marvellous One was something else, but so were alot of fighters from that era. Leonard, Hearns, Duran all incredible fighters and a golden age for the middleweight division.

Favouite story of all, a shout out to Big Nialls request too, When Hagler fought Duran 12 round title fights had just been implemented and it was sanctioned for that distance, Hagler and Duran refused to fight unless it was set for the full 15! Couldn't see to many fighters doing that today
burjennio

Postby Mikz » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:24 pm

I remember it well Bigmick...I remember sitting by our old gramaphone type radio and listening to Harry Carpenter commentating on it -big riot afterwards lol -watch it here- disgraceful scenes but try watching it and keeping a straight face at the end

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z184W81eVo0

also Nannyred said about holyfield...totally agree with that, and nobody seems to remember as a lightheavyweight he was even better
Last edited by Mikz on Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:41 pm

NANNY RED wrote:I think the American boxer was a lad called Lenny Hutchins PeeWee, he fought him in the old Liverpool boxing stadium in town ,im sure it was the same year we won the European cup. The Americans stayed in the hotel i was working in town.
He was a really nice fella and i got tickets off him for the fight and we got invited to the after party.

yeah that name rings a bell, he used to come down our road in a black limo to go training. the gym was a right dump as well, proper boxing sweaty gym.
112-1077774096

Next

Return to General Chat Forum