Running/jogging

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Dundalk » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:38 pm

Anyone on here go running, Ive only started a few weeks ago and I'm really enjoying it. I was very unfit and a mate of mine suggested it and so far so good. I tried the gym but thry are a no no for me because I cant handle looking at all the fucing posers. Cant have them.

Im training now for a 10k run that is coming up soon. What is a good time to finish the race in? I'm going out every night and im lucky that there is plenty of good routes to run by the sea.
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thingy » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:19 am

Alright mate, I run now and then, I get into it, then just dont bother for months.  Running outside the gym is probably better than in the gym, running the same distance but on different terrain and stuff. If your looking at a 10k, anything around the hour mark would be a good time. Not that id even manage 5k, i run a couple of mile, come in and get a chippy. Defeating the object really :D
Thingy

Postby peterc1992 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:27 am

Hi dundalk,

Im just curious because lately iv been thinking of starting up running.I play football but my fitness has gone to :censored: over the last 4 years or so.iv lost my pace aswell as i used to be quite quick.In the last few week of you doing your jogging have you noticed a change in your fitness?

Iv tried it before but i always seem to get lazy after a day or two but im looking for a bit of reassurance because i want to get way fitter.
emlyn hughes:"liverpool are magic,everton are tragic"
peterc1992
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:43 am

Yeah I really have. I think the key is to stick with it, the first few times I did it I could have packed it in but after a while it takes a grip of you and i want to go out everyday. My breathing has become better and I feel like I have more stamina. I got really into it and am even watching what I eat. Ive gone from having a take away nearly every night to eating lots of fruit and veg :D

If you want to know how far you are running then this website will help you. Good luck and let me know how you got on
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ConnO'var » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:44 am

I tried that too Dundalk...... but for me, it's the most mindless form of exercise on earth.... Just not me thing..... I prefer doing sports like tennis to keep fit.
ConnO'var

Postby SupitsJonF » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:50 am

peterc1992 wrote:pace aswell as i used to be quite quick.

I know weight training, like conditioning exercises with weights and running with weights is good for getting quicker.  Also you can have a day a week just set for sprints, and still run that day but instead of say 5 miles run 2.
SupitsJonF

Postby Emerald Red » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:15 am

Best thing for pace is to sprint up a hill. A steep one. Stretch your hamstrings until they feel sore afterwards as well. F*ck doing weight training. If you sprint up hills, it's doing the proper conditioning to build speed rather than strength.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SupitsJonF » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:12 am

Emerald Red wrote:Best thing for pace is to sprint up a hill. A steep one. Stretch your hamstrings until they feel sore afterwards as well. F*ck doing weight training. If you sprint up hills, it's doing the proper conditioning to build speed rather than strength.

If you can sprint with weights on, and improve your times.  Of course it will improve your speed when their off, it also builds muscle at the same time (of course any form of exercise does).  Running up a steep hill works the muscles harder, as do weights, have very similar effects.
SupitsJonF

Postby GRAHAM01 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:53 am

i stopped playing rugby this season and wanted to do something so i said i would do a 10k run, i was training for it and had no problems was doing 5 miles 3 to 4 times a week ( a mile shy of what i needed to do ) was changing my routes each time, but about 6 weeks ago i was running up a steep hill and done my achilles tendon right in, i couldn't walk properly and had to get home walking like a gimp

went to docs and he told me i had almost ruptured the tendon ( if i had he said it would have meant 8 months in plaster? ) i have been doing physical therapy every week since i'm still not allowed to run or even jog but i was told i can start going on a bike this week so it is getting better, i have just  been doing walking and swimming up to now

but it doen't grind any more which is a bonus  :D

i have to say i liked the running as it does help you get fit and healthy and gets you out in the fresh air i use to feel much better after doing it
if you want some come get some!
GRAHAM01
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:45 am

Unlucky Graham, at least you didnt have to go into plaster.
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GRAHAM01 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:09 am

tell me about it i would have had to put up with the misses 24/7 as i would have been at home laid out :D :D
if you want some come get some!
GRAHAM01
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:41 am

I like running. Did the Great North Run a few years ago. But have calmed down a bit now. I run 3 / 4 miles a few times a week. I found it really helps with my fitness when I play football every Wednesday.

One really good way to increase speed and also lose weight faster is fartlak training or now more widely known as HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) - This is where you jog for 4 minutes, then sprint for 30 seconds or 1 minute, then slow down to a jog for 4 minutes, wthen sprint - and repeat.

- that sort of thing is really good on something like a rowing machine or bike as well.

In terms of setting yourself time limits - its all dependant on the individual. I can just about do 10k in an hour (in a good week), where as my marathon running mate can do it in under 50 minutes
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:45 am

I think ill be looking to do the run in an hour or under. I dont drink anymore (not by choice) and I dont smoke so if I watch what I eat it should help me get a better time
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:02 pm

I am 42 now and started running again about 3 months ago, I run in the park every morning where they have a 3km circuit round the lake, and they also have a weights area. I have always believed that running is better than jogging, I push myself on every run (which takes some doing in this heat). then I finish off with weights. the running put some pressure on my shins but that seems to have cleared now.

One way to build stamina is a spring followed by a walk, followed by a sprint, so sprint 200 metres then walk 100, then repeat this. its a great fat burner and good for stamina building.
112-1077774096

Postby 112-1077774096 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:04 pm

Dundalk wrote:I think ill be looking to do the run in an hour or under. I dont drink anymore (not by choice) and I dont smoke so if I watch what I eat it should help me get a better time

one hour is six minutes per km, I am doing just over 5 minutes now per km but that is only for 3km, if i was running a longer distance then 6 minutes per km would be about right
112-1077774096

Next

Return to General Chat Forum