Running/jogging

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Dundalk » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:57 pm

parchpea wrote:I always found running very boring but later on in life, when I was coming up to 40, I gave it a go again just doing about 1.5 mile 3 or 4 times a week. I just kept at it and building the distance steadily and the more you put in the easier and less boring it gets. This is because you find a natural running rythm and you breathe easy and arent gasping for air. After a time you can almost run forever at your own pace because it becomes a second nature like walking. First thing is really good running shoes to protect from injury, and supports if you suffer from niggles in a particular area. After almost 3 years I now run in events and that and love it. Aside from the fitness it keeps the weight off and I have shed about 2.5 stone easy and am leaner and fitter than I was in my 20s or 30s.Plus mentally you feel sharper and your moods better. Key is stick at it and remember the hardest running step is the first one out the front door  :;):  motivation, mental stength, is a big, if not the biggest challenge of all with running.

Cant argue with one word of that

Sums it all up perfectly  :buttrock
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:00 pm

Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up.
It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed.

Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up.
It knows that it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve.

It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle
when the sun comes up you'd better be running.
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:36 pm

Ran a local 10 k race yesterday morning, a lot more hills then i expected and i stopped and walked for about 45 secs because I got a cramp after 2k for some reason. Finished in 43.06 which I was happy enough with. It could have been better but it could have been worse. Just after the 9k mark you could see the finish line in the distance so I put the head down and picked up my speed. I had nothing left after coming over the line, totally wreaked.
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby roberto green » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:16 pm

Dundalk wrote:
parchpea wrote:I always found running very boring but later on in life, when I was coming up to 40, I gave it a go again just doing about 1.5 mile 3 or 4 times a week. I just kept at it and building the distance steadily and the more you put in the easier and less boring it gets. This is because you find a natural running rythm and you breathe easy and arent gasping for air. After a time you can almost run forever at your own pace because it becomes a second nature like walking. First thing is really good running shoes to protect from injury, and supports if you suffer from niggles in a particular area. After almost 3 years I now run in events and that and love it. Aside from the fitness it keeps the weight off and I have shed about 2.5 stone easy and am leaner and fitter than I was in my 20s or 30s.Plus mentally you feel sharper and your moods better. Key is stick at it and remember the hardest running step is the first one out the front door  :;):  motivation, mental stength, is a big, if not the biggest challenge of all with running.

Cant argue with one word of that

Sums it all up perfectly  :buttrock

Yep Totally agree, Great post from Parchpea
roberto green

Postby roberto green » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:19 pm

Dundalk wrote:Ran a local 10 k race yesterday morning, a lot more hills then i expected and i stopped and walked for about 45 secs because I got a cramp after 2k for some reason. Finished in 43.06 which I was happy enough with. It could have been better but it could have been worse. Just after the 9k mark you could see the finish line in the distance so I put the head down and picked up my speed. I had nothing left after coming over the line, totally wreaked.

Well done, I need to get back into it, I haven't done a run since June and it's one of those once I get my first run done I'll be back into it but it's just getting the first run under my belt again.
roberto green

Postby Reg » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:42 am

Dundalk wrote:Ran a local 10 k race yesterday morning, a lot more hills then i expected and i stopped and walked for about 45 secs because I got a cramp after 2k for some reason. Finished in 43.06 which I was happy enough with. It could have been better but it could have been worse. Just after the 9k mark you could see the finish line in the distance so I put the head down and picked up my speed. I had nothing left after coming over the line, totally wreaked.

43 minutes? Awesome!  :bowdown  :bowdown
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:00 pm

Only 38 days left now before the Dublin Marathon, both my feet are holding well and im up to 17 miles in training. I still have two or three long runs left in training. So far so good and i have got this far without injury. Had to run 10k tonight as part of training and done it in 41.02. Im delighted with that and on Sunday I have a long run of 18.5 miles ahead of me 

Did 17 miles last week in 2h 06min but started to slow up a lot in the last few miles and my legs were on fire. Straight home and into an ice cold path for 10 mins  :D
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:34 pm

Dundalk wrote:Only 38 days left now before the Dublin Marathon, both my feet are holding well and im up to 17 miles in training. I still have two or three long runs left in training. So far so good and i have got this far without injury. Had to run 10k tonight as part of training and done it in 41.02. Im delighted with that and on Sunday I have a long run of 18.5 miles ahead of me 

Did 17 miles last week in 2h 06min but started to slow up a lot in the last few miles and my legs were on fire. Straight home and into an ice cold path for 10 mins  :D

well done mate...i do 10 miles over TWO RUNS a week  :D

Can't imagine what 17 in one go is like! Have you hit the 'wall' yet?
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:46 pm

No not yet but I will do in the marathon. The first marathon I did I can't remember the last three miles at all  :D
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ethanr » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:14 am

I've started running again lately to get back in shape.. Haven't really exercised for a few years now :D

Just been doing 2.5 mile loops, down to about 7 minutes a mile (I know don' make fun of me I'm out of shape).  I used to run 5 minute miles a few years ago, but clearly am nowhere near that.  Gonna bump it up to 5 miles either tonight or in a couple nights.

I have really bad cramping problems on my sides, and my back hurts all the time when I run. I try not to eat for at least 4 hours before I run to help, but I still get them every time I go out, and that's what kills me every time.  I've tried stretching out my sides and breathing really deep to help stretch out my diaphragm and other organs which I red cause the pain, and it's helping but I still have the problems.  If I could figure out how to get rid of those problems, I'd probably train for a marathon.  I don't know if you guys have any suggestions on how to fix that, any info would be great.  Also, do any of you run with breathing patterns to help almost like pace yourself or keep you calm or anything like that?  It seems if I don't pay attention to my breathing then I get tired much quicker.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby Reg » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:52 am

Go for it DD, do you take carb and protein supplements on a daily basis? I find they make a massive difference.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:14 pm

I do. Before a long run I carb load. So for instance i have a long run on Sunday morning so ill eat a lot of carbs Friday and Saturday night.

How are you getting on reg you still running
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby peterc1992 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:15 am

Have not wrote on here in about 2 years about running.Have no done much at all.Any tips about motivations. 14 stone 6 foot.Play soccer but im not at my fitness level and i know when im fit i am quick. at one stage I was running 4 nights a week then I just went drinking for a few days and since then havnt bothered besides a bita training twice a week .
emlyn hughes:"liverpool are magic,everton are tragic"
peterc1992
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:54 am

Dundalk wrote:I do. Before a long run I carb load. So for instance i have a long run on Sunday morning so ill eat a lot of carbs Friday and Saturday night.

How are you getting on reg you still running

DD I take carb powder every morning before exercise then a protein muscle recovery powder after, that way I can train 6 days a week.

I've just bought a new road bike, went out on the beast for the first time this morning! A ROSE 4400 Pro RS (aluminium, I don't trust carbon), the d's b's. SRAM Red chainset and Force everything else. What a difference after my boneshaker.... fast for sure but hard work to wind it up and keep it there so lots of quad work needed to develop the strength and stamina. I'm in a half Ironman relay team, I'm doing the 90kms bike race section in March next year so have time to build up. Also an olympic triathlon next May.

I swim once a week and run at least once, and if poss, cycle 3-4 times.

Sat, Sun cycle, Mon swim, Tues cycle, Wed gym/rowing machine, Thurs gym/run, Fri rest. Basically its all cross training but running is my weakest, swimming is easy, cycling an improving challenge, running remains difficult - I'm too big andf heavy.

PeterC, the motivation comes from within, either its there or it isn't. If you know you enjoy it and can do it, then stop fannying around and get out there and do it. Simple as.    :pirate
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:42 pm

Fair play Reg, some tough training there. I think in another year or two I will take to the bike as pounding the roads is starting to take its toll. 90k on the bike is some going, good luck with the training. Keep us updated on here as to how you are getting on.

I had my long run today, 18.4m. It was lashing rain and the wind was in my face until mile 11, it was horrible but I suppose I can put it down to good experience. Finished in 2.22.56 which considering the weather I was happy enough with. At the end I was tired but not wreaked like I was after 17 miles last week.
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum