Liverpool for the weekend

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Sean » Thu May 28, 2015 8:43 pm

Hi all,

I am travelling over to Liverpool from Ireland on Saturday morning.  It'll be my first visit since the last game of the season in 2002 when we walloped George Burnley's Ipswich 5-0.  Gary McAllister received a standing ovation as it was his last game and we finished in second place.  The players did a lap of honour, I asked my girlfriend to marry me in front of the Bill Shankly statue and there was a mood of optimism as we didn't seem too far off having a team capable of winning the league title again.  Then we bought two Senegalese lads and a left footed French guy in a disastrous transfer window and it all went pear shaped.....(what is it they say about history having a habit of repeating itself !

Anyway, the reason i'm posting is because this weekend I am bringing my brother-in-law for a night out in Liverpool.  It's a short trip and we are staying at the Richmond.  We're flying in on Saturday morning and going home on Sunday night. He has never been to the city and loves music so obviously i'll bring him along to the cavern club.  We enjoy our few pints but have struck the middle aged curse of not being able to handle loud nightclubs any more.  Just wondering if ye have any advice on where to go for live music and decent pints (preferably if Guinness).  Also, is the Anfield museum open on Saturday's ?  Any other tips on anything worth seeing during our visit would be appreciated.

Thanks lads,
Seán
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu May 28, 2015 11:57 pm

If your going to the Cavern then there's loads of boozers around there, Infact Flannagans is only around the corner, it's usually okay in there. Another irish bar, O Neills on Hannover street is worth a visit and that'll take you towards Seel Street, lots of good bars round that way.
All the best mate, hope you have a great time.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Sean » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:15 pm

Thanks Yakka.  Great weekend.  Got to Liverpool early on Saturday.  Did the Beatles tour, (the houses where the Fab Four grew up, Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields).  Went over to Anfield, did the tour, spent a bit of time in the museum it was good to see progress on the stadium redevelopment.  Watched the cup final in Flanagans Apple and spent most of Saturday night and Sunday afternoon in the Cavern Club.  Got talking to an old fella and he showed me an old black and white photo of him getting Billy Liddells autograph.  Class.  Interestingly, he reckons Luis Suarez is the best player he has seen play for Liverpool.

Thanks again,
Seán
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Return to General Chat Forum