Bowie....

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Reg » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:05 am

The man had a massive influence on those of us in our 50's.... he really was special in the true sense of the word.

Smart link to a fitting tribute which I think would have made the great man smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9SnaYXzdj54
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:55 am

Bowie not only shaped my teenage years ,he imbedded his songs and his finely honed genius onto my identity and twinned them with some of my most cherished memories. The untimely death of this musical deity has left me devastated. I managed to finally see him again at Glastonbury 2000 ,its one of those very cherished memories I speak of .

RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:57 am

Yeah well said RBG and thanks for that link Reg, very moving.
This country was a very different place at the turn of the 70's, socially it was a very conservative society, most of the population had lived through the depression of the 30's, the war of the 40's and the austere 50's (rationing, make do and mend, national service etc) so for a young lad to walk up on a stage dressed as a woman with make up on in that era took incredible guts, in fact if Bowie would have been a shyte songwriter he would have fell flat on his face like no one else in history.
Bowie was doing his thing in an era when most middle aged men were clones of Bill Shankly, the fact that he managed to pull it off is just a testament to his songwriting and his incredible genius.
RIP Mr Jones, you certainly made the grade.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Reg » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:45 am

I saw Bowie live in 1983.

The music.... Ziggy, Young Americans, Heroes... blew me away... the lyrics, the tunes, the role playing, the package. No one pulls it off these days.

Saw him at the NEC, everyone chanted 'Ziggy, Ziggy, Ziggy...' he just shook his head - he wasn't going to let Ziggy back out of the box.  Magic, fking magic.

I saw Tina Turner in a half full Manchester Apollo in 1982.... all tits and bum, k'in magic.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:27 am

Bought his 1st album "David Bowie" in 1967, been a fan ever since.

R.I.P, Will be sadly missed by millions.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby andy_g » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:46 pm

i've been saddened by many celebrity deaths over the years, but nothing (outside of friends and family) has left me as bereft as this. no single thing or person has influenced me, guided me or inspired me since my mid teens as bowie has. i don't think its hyperbole to say that without him i wouldn't be the person i am today.

his untimely and completely unexpected death is a shock to so many people, and its a measure of the man's importance seeing how the world's media and social networks have responded. there will never be another like him, with that genius, that charisma, that humour and that humility.

i've been listening to him almost exclusively for the last month or so, waiting for the new album to come out. revisting great moments from the berlin trilogy, diamond dogs, station to station, scary monsters... too many to mention. i don't mind admitting that listening to these tracks again the last couple of days - especially ones like heroes, wild is the wind, or stay have led to a little tear or two. and then finally hearing the new one and seeing its his best work for 30 years, and thinking 'the king is back'. and then that news... he's gone... the album is his farewell. and how like him, to know he was going, to release the album on his final birthday, to see the whole world talking about him, and then to quietly leave.

the world is a lesser place without david bowie

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:42 pm

Nice Andy, nice. John Lennon's death absolutely knocked for six as a music mad 17 year old, I struggled to cope with that big style. Likewise pretty upset the day Freddy checked out. Bowie's legacy of music is profound, all the genre's you mention above, Wild is the wind, station to station etc.. jeez man I'd forgotten about these tracks..... massive respect.

I think the media need to back off though, they're milking this for everything.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:15 am

Last account Bowie followed on Twitter was God

Showman to the end  :buttrock

RIP Ziggy Ashes to Ashes
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to General Chat Forum