Asian invasion - Oriental film

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby woof woof ! » Mon May 07, 2012 3:18 pm

Just ordered The Yellow Sea (dvd from Amazon) looks like another high octane Korean crime drama.

The Yellow Sea trailer

Can't wait  :buttrock

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue May 08, 2012 3:52 pm

woof woof ! » Mon May 07, 2012 2:18 pm wrote:Just ordered The Yellow Sea (dvd from Amazon) looks like another high octane Korean crime drama.

The Yellow Sea trailer

Looks decent mate ,just watched Brotherhood ...Honestly ,it has to be the best foreign war film I have seen .
http://www.lovefilm.com/film/Brotherhood/39335/?promotion_code=AMAZ1527&cid=lfaffimdbtitlepagevod
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Tue May 08, 2012 4:34 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue May 08, 2012 3:52 pm wrote:
woof woof ! » Mon May 07, 2012 2:18 pm wrote:Just ordered The Yellow Sea (dvd from Amazon) looks like another high octane Korean crime drama.

The Yellow Sea trailer

Looks decent mate ,just watched Brotherhood ...Honestly ,it has to be the best foreign war film I have seen .
http://www.lovefilm.com/film/Brotherhood/39335/?promotion_code=AMAZ1527&cid=lfaffimdbtitlepagevod

Brotherhood's a great movie Red, you should check out "Assembly" I think it's made by the same team, I liked it even more.

Assembly trailer

Christ, watching the trailer again makes me think I'll put the dvd on after the game tonight, evening sorted  :buttrock

:D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Wed May 09, 2012 12:26 pm

woof woof ! » Mon May 07, 2012 10:04 am wrote:Haven't watched it yet but labelled as Korea's "House of Flying Daggers" I'll deffo be watching "War of the Arrows" (aka Arrow - The Ultimate Weapon). Out today on dvd, also loads of clips on YouTube including full movie .

War of the Arrows trailer

Bought and watched the dvd. A very good movie it's not in the same class as "Crouching Tiger" or "Flying Daggers" but happy to have it in my collection

Image 7/10

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby dawson99 » Sat May 19, 2012 5:01 pm

For anyone who hasn't seen it, Confessions is on Film4 tonight
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu May 24, 2012 4:55 pm

Well, I'm like a pig in sh'it right now. The postman called today and delivered the dvd of "Yellow Sea" (trailer posted above).

However what's really got me going is that the postie's also delivered Masaki Kobayashi's "The Human Condition", fans of Japanese cinema will probably remember him for the brilliant "Harakiri" and "Samurai Rebellion" but the "The Human Condition" is considered to be his cinematic masterpiece.

Nine and a half hours long, it is to cinema what War and Peace is to literature

Fours years in the making and due to it's length originally released as three separate movies but now re-mastered with enhanced (improved) subtitles it's released on dvd as a single stand alone movie.

Can't wait to get into it  :buttrock

For anyone interested here's a clip found on You Tube

The Human Condition

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Fri May 25, 2012 7:56 am

Yellow Sea,

Watched last night, not the best Korean film I've ever seen but it's up there with all the other hardcore crime movies the country has produced. Deffo one of the grittiest and bloodiest, with weapons of choice amongst the gang members being Kitchen Knives, Axes and even a massive Thigh Bone !!  :laugh: 

For around a tenner well worth the spend.

Image 7.5/10

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue May 29, 2012 10:04 pm

Have you seen Redemption The Raid yet mate ? I couldn't recommend it enough ,some of the fight scenes are genuinely breathtaking .
It definitely lives up to the massive hype .
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Wed May 30, 2012 7:50 am

RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue May 29, 2012 10:04 pm wrote:Have you seen Redemption The Raid yet mate ? I couldn't recommend it enough ,some of the fight scenes are genuinely breathtaking .
It definitely lives up to the massive hype .

Hoping to watch it tonight Red.   :buttrock

edit

Viewed it last night and it's pretty full on, towards the end I was feeling pretty worn out just watching it.  :D

Not always the best choreography , some of the strikes and blows clearly missed but the victim still reacted, subtitle wise it's one of the worst translations I've ever seen but for anyone who likes hard core action it's deffo a must see.

I'll probably get the dvd when it's released, hopefully the poor translation on the subs will have been sorted.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:34 pm

Finally got around to watching the Korean flick "I saw the Devil"

F'ucking intense.

Your wife/girlfriend has been raped and chopped up and you get your hands on the monster that did it. Do put a bullet in his head ? maybe thats' too quick ? perhaps you'd like to see him suffer ?

Once again Asian cinema takes us way beyond Hollywood

trailer- I saw the Devil

8/10 Image

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:52 pm

Watched Warriors of the Rainbow (part one). Good John Woo produced epic about the uprising and consequent massacre of the indigenous people of Taiwan by the Japanese in the 1930's. DL'ing part two right now !

Warriors of the Rainbow- trailer

Worth Googling the film title and checking Wiki if you're interested in the historical background to this event.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:59 pm

woof woof ! » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:06 pm wrote:[color=#FF0000]Saw a brilliant movie the other day , it's black and white, japanese with subs so may only appeal to the hard core cinema buffs in here . If you're into Samurai movies this is an absolute must .

Review from Asian Film
Hara-kiri, or seppuku, is the practice of ritual suicide by disembowelment either to atone for a heinous crime, or to die in an honorable fashion in order to save face. This was a fairly common occurrence during the samurai period. Often during times of peace, when a samurai's master is defeated or slain, all of his employed samurai become ronin. These ronin were usually assimilated by another master in times of war. During peacetime it was much harder for a ronin to find employment since samurai were not in such high demand. Many of these unemployed ronin opted to commit seppuku and die a noble death instead of live the life of a lowly beggar. In order for the seppuku ceremony to take place, the ronin had to "borrow" another lord's courtyard since he could no longer use his master's. When faced with this request, many noblemen decided to have pity on the downtrodden samurai and offer him a few coins to be on his way.

Masaki Kobayashi's Hara-kiri is a story about one of these ronin and his request to commit hara-kiri. Hanshiro arrives at the gates of Iyi Manor asking to use their courtyard to be given a samurai's death. Kageyu Saito, the lord of the house, recalls a story about a ronin who previously came there requesting hara-kiri under false pretenses. Saito pressed the issue and refused to let the ronin back out, forcing him to commit suicide. Saito tells this story to ensure that Hanshiro's intentions are sincere. After determining that Hanshiro actually intends to complete the ritual, Kageyu Saito grants Hanshiro the final request of telling his story so that others may benefit from hearing a dying man's last words. Hanshiro's plight is an indictment against the bureaucracy, hypocrisy, and false sense of honor that the samurai cling to so tightly.

Woofs rating 9 out of 10.
harakiri-original-trailer

Bumping this as it may interest Maypax who today in the general movie thread mentioned how much he enjoyed the remake.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:46 pm

Thanks Woof :buttrock
maypaxvobiscum

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:49 am

No probs Maypax . Always happy to share favourite films with others. Being in Singapore you should be able to pick up loads of good martial art type movies fairly cheap and depending on what language you speak (apart from english) maybe even watch some of them without needing subtitles   :D .

Here's a couple more of my faves over the years, all worth looking out for.

Kung Fu/Karate

Fist of Legend, Jet Lee's remake of Bruce Lee's Fist of Fury.
Fighter in the Wind, Based on the life story of the founder of Kyukushin karate.
IP Man, Donnie Yen as legendary chinese martial artist Yip Kai Man.

Sword/Samurai

Sword with No Name
13 Assassins
Ran

You can catch the trailers on YouTube, sure you'll enjoy them all.   :)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:04 am

Hey Woof,

Have you seen Kuro Obi?
It's really good! Check it out here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_lK3IG6C6k&feature=related
maypaxvobiscum

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum