World cup 2018 bid

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby Ben Patrick » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:31 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:No idea Ben but I can only guess it was to ensure England went out in first round .

But if he voted Russia anyway what difference would that make ?
Or is it because he was ensuring the dutch and belgian team getting votes ko'd our vote straight away ?
Can sort of see that but still think if enough were voting Russia anyway it wouldnt have mattered.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby Benny The Noon » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:50 pm

The rumours going round are that the FIFA delegates wanted some sort of revenge against England because of the corruption programme so they tried to ensure that England went out first. There was apparently a fair number of them who told England they would vote for them only to turn around when the voting started . All manufactured I think . As one FIFA delegate stated - It would of been the final insult to us and FIFA if we let the world cup go to England
Benny The Noon

Postby Red-er-Dare » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:56 am

I wouldn't expect anything less from Platini
Red-er-Dare

Postby laza » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:37 am

This article from Australian football site which also highlights the need for Blatter to fend off Asian Football chairman from his FIFA post

Jesse Fink

Like many of you, I’m still trying to process exactly what happened in Zurich in the early hours of the morning. I thought about going back to bed, but couldn’t sleep. My head was whirring with thoughts. It still is.

Direct from the Messehalle where the decision was made, a friend of mine very high up in the England bid sent me a message at about 3am: “I’m sitting in a corner. There will be many questions.”

There will. About how England finished dead last in the voting for 2018. About how Australia finished dead last in the voting for 2022. About how the results were allegedly known an hour before the announcement.

About how the biggest country in the world, Russia, won 2018 in a canter. Do travelling distances matter a jot?

About how Qatar, one of the smallest countries on earth with a climate as conducive to football as Dante’s inferno, could trump the might of the United States in the face-off for 2022.

The plain unvarnished truth is there had to be three winners in Zurich. The third winner was FIFA president Sepp Blatter.

I was in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, last week for the AFC Annual Awards and all the furtive talk was that Asian Football Confederation chief Mohamed bin Hammam was readying himself to challenge Blatter for the FIFA presidency if Qatar did not win 2022.

Hammam, an iron-willed political operator, is not a man to be underestimated.

Though an awful orator, he doesn’t miss a beat when it comes to making friends or maintaining his networks.

He was meeting suspended Oceania Football Confederation president and FIFA executive committee member Reynald Temarii in a hotel room in KL just before the vote. (Oh to be a fly on the wall for that meeting.)

Days later he came out and supported Temarii’s decision to stick with his appeal against his one-year ban from all football-related activity and not allow his deputy, David Chung, to represent the OFC in the ballot. Convenient.

What happened in Zurich? The vote came down to a tussle between Qatar and USA, Qatar winning in the fourth round, 14 votes to eight. An easy win for the tiny Middle East emirate.

Qatar’s victory gives Blatter a reprieve. Unfettered passage to a fourth term as FIFA boss.

Hammam, triumphant, stays as AFC chief for now with the glory of winning the World Cup to keep in check his ambitions.

Now some people will buy the legacy argument. Some people will swallow the nice words about bringing peace to the Middle East. Some people will believe these two decisions are about taking football to new frontiers and making history. That’s their prerogative.

But I don’t.

The Russian and Qatari World Cups came about because of influence and money. Because of backroom deals and strategic alliances. Because of the need of some very rich and formidable men to shore up their own power bases and extend their political lives.

Do fans really matter? It would appear not.

In my opinion Belgium/Netherlands, Spain/Portugal, England, Japan, Australia, South Korea and the United States would all have delivered better experiences for the football fans of the world than Russia and Qatar.

If they don’t die travelling by plane in Russia they’ll perish in the heat trying to find a drink in Qatar.

I have no doubt the pair can deliver on what they are promising (and to Qatar’s credit I think their final pitch was absolutely perfect while ours was a clichéd, anachronistic mess – Phillip Noyce was totally owned by fellow Aussie Derin Seale).

But let’s not mince words: our collective faith in the integrity of the World Cup bidding process has been damaged by the events in Zurich and the good name of football has taken a hit.

As my gutted English friend said, there will be many questions.

Right now, like most of the world, I have no answers. Only whirring thoughts.
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:38 am

It makes me laugh how everyone is now coming out crying "CORRUPTION" ! and yet when Lord Triesman cried it out a while back, he was the bad guy.

Even Panarama, they are being blamed for their ill timing, but all they have done is pointed out the obvious.

What I want to know more than anything, seeing as this country is skint, is how we managed to scrape up a bid that cost £15,000,000, and who is going to pay to get that money back. Whatever way you look at it, its £15m flushed down the drain, and this is money we cannot afford to throw away.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:44 pm

Exactly and if they had got it we could have seen more tax rises or god knows what else. It's bad enough we were lumbered with the olympics when we were skint bo and then we actually wanted the world cup. In a way FIFA done us a favour, I don't like them still but something needs to be done.

They need to hold some sort of internatl investigation, clean up house and run themselves in a transparent fashion as the FA does. Say what you want about they FA but they are pretty up front up about everything. That's how FIFA and UEFA should be.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby burjennio » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:24 pm

The top leagues in the world should tell them to do one. Lets so how big for the boots they are when the Premier League, Liga Primera, Serie A, Bundesliga, Portuguese Superliga and the Dutch Eredivisie all give the smarmy, greedy f*ckers the collective fingers:

"OI! BLATTER!"

They all did that FIFA would host the next World Cup in my back garden if they were told to.
burjennio

Postby tubby » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:40 pm

Would be good if the FA just pulled England out of the next world cup. :D
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:44 pm

bavlondon wrote:Would be good if the FA just pulled England out of the next world cup. :D

They got to qualify first   :D
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:58 pm

Despite the outlay of money the Olympics and World Cup both earn the country a fortune and also create a lot of much needed jobs for people .
Benny The Noon

Postby Igor Zidane » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:09 pm

A.RSED!!!!!!
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mart » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:13 pm

Every time something goes badly for the english national team or in this case the english WC bid the english press cry like little babies blaming everything and everyone except themselves. Its really pathetic. After reading the butthurt comments in the media i have to say the best thing about the 2018 world cup is that England didnt get it.

The Russian league is growing quite fast in reputation. They have more money, more foreign players and their teams are doing quite well in the european cups. Sounds like a good place to have a world cup to me.
mart
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC2007 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:30 pm

I think the general reaction is merited. If the intention was to award it to a new region - and that's the only conclusion you can draw looking at how the vote went - then that should have been made clear at the beginning of process so that we didn't go to all the effort and expense for nothing.
LFC2007

Postby mart » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:11 am

LFC2007 wrote:I think the general reaction is merited. If the intention was to award it to a new region - and that's the only conclusion you can draw looking at how the vote went - then that should have been made clear at the beginning of process so that we didn't go to all the effort and expense for nothing.

Why? Whats so special about englands bid? Should FIFA just drop that process and decide on a country randomly instead?
mart
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC2007 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:23 am

mart wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:I think the general reaction is merited. If the intention was to award it to a new region - and that's the only conclusion you can draw looking at how the vote went - then that should have been made clear at the beginning of process so that we didn't go to all the effort and expense for nothing.

Why? Whats so special about englands bid? Should FIFA just drop that process and decide on a country randomly instead?

Like I said, FIFA should have made it clear that technical and commercial considerations were secondary to location. That would have spared both the FA and tax payers millions of pounds.
LFC2007

Previous

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion