Euro 2012 thread

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby Boxscarf » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:28 pm

I still stand by my opinion expressed earlier in the competition that Spain were boring to watch. Their Tika Taka passing approach wasn't what I found boring necessarily (though I have to confess after watching footage of Hungary in the 50's, Netherlands of the 70's and Barcelona from Cruyff management onwards) it wasn't nothing new and nothing that got me excited because I've been watching it for around 4 years with Guardiola. The reason I found Spain boring to watch is that they were simply coasting. They were just toying with the opposition, pinging the ball around, before deciding to score a goal.

I have grown up supporting the German national team and I prefer their approach to football matches. It's just direct football with no fancy bits thrown in. It's just simple, yet effective football. I find watching the likes of Ozil and Schweinsteiger playing to be as equally enjoyable as watching Xabi Alonso and David Silva. Spain's only really exciting performance was in the final, where they obviously had no choice but to move up the gears.

Hats off to them because they are the greatest International team I've ever seen, but I felt from a neutral perspective that they could have given more to the competition than they did. I wanted exciting matches where I saw Spain winning every match 5-0, but that never happened because for some odd reason (it worked) they played a false #9 in Fabregas and I believe this made them a lot more difficult to break down.

People are now looking 2014 and Spain will be the team to beat, irrespective of the competition being held in Brazil.
Boxscarf

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:22 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:52 pm wrote:
RUSHIE#9 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:39 pm wrote:As Xavi or Iniesta said the other day; 'People don't realise how hard it is to break down teams with 10 men behind the ball'.

This is the problem they're facing and are going to face even more now but I still wouldn't bet against them raising the World Cup again in Brazil in 2014.

They will definitely be favourites ,but I am convinced the  2014 World Cup will be the Uruguayans time to shine mate.

it`s a good shout that, very few european or south american sides win the world cup on the other continent, infact it`s happened only once.
there has been 19 world cups and 16 of those have been held in either europe or south america, and only brazil in 1957 have bucked the trend by winning it in europe, no european side has ever won it in south america.
brazil will take some beating though, 8 times the host country has reached the final (winning 6) and world cup history shows a good side on their own patch are very hard to beat.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby brad147690 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:38 pm

I think Brazil will win 2014 on the home soil to. Spain will surely have something to say about that though.
My football shirt collection

http://bradsfootballshirtcollection.blogspot.co.uk/
brad147690
LFC Basic Member

Postby Boxscarf » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:02 pm

Brazil, the most overrated football nation in history.
Boxscarf

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:17 pm

:laugh:

Really ?! How exactly are they overrated as a nation when you consider their 5 world cups and countless Copa's !!
Benny The Noon

Postby Boxscarf » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:25 pm

Every tournament that comes around Brazil are hyped up dramatically. 5 World Cup's not arguing against that, but for me Brazil have done nothing in the last decade and yet are still 'the best team in the world' in many people's eyes.

I'd much rather watch Argentina play and yes Maradona urinates all over Pele.
Boxscarf

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:33 pm

Boxscarf » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:25 pm wrote:Every tournament that comes around Brazil are hyped up dramatically. 5 World Cup's not arguing against that, but for me Brazil have done nothing in the last decade and yet are still 'the best team in the world' in many people's eyes.

So because thay havent done anythign in the last two world cups they are overhyped !!! You cut the line well then because they won in 2002 .

They are in the favs every time is comes round because they are always there or thereabouts. They are the best footballing nation ever - their record proves that.

As for Pele and Maradona - one was a true star who won three World Cups - the other was a drug taking cheat with a lot of talent.
Benny The Noon

Postby Roger Red Hat » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:33 pm

Benny The Noon » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:33 pm wrote:
Boxscarf » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:25 pm wrote:Every tournament that comes around Brazil are hyped up dramatically. 5 World Cup's not arguing against that, but for me Brazil have done nothing in the last decade and yet are still 'the best team in the world' in many people's eyes.

So because thay havent done anythign in the last two world cups they are overhyped !!! You cut the line well then because they won in 2002 .

They are in the favs every time is comes round because they are always there or thereabouts. They are the best footballing nation ever - their record proves that.

As for Pele and Maradona - one was a true star who won three World Cups - the other was a drug taking cheat with a lot of talent.

I agree with Benny here.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boxscarf » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:53 pm

Roger Red Hat » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:33 am wrote:
I agree with Benny here.

That doesn't surprise me - two people who know virtually nothing about football, of course you're going to agree.
Boxscarf

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:16 pm

Boxscarf » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:53 pm wrote:
Roger Red Hat » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:33 am wrote:
I agree with Benny here.

That doesn't surprise me - two people who know virtually nothing about football, of course you're going to agree.

Says the guy who states that Brazil are overrated as a football nation - the 5 World Cups were just pure luck.

You are clueless
Benny The Noon

Previous

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion