Celtic - rangers rivalry - A provocation i don't get

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby 66-1120597113 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:09 pm

Big Niall wrote:Belfast Barry

A mate of mine said that a lot of protestants in Derry follow Derry City, is this correct?

I had always thought it was another example of religion and football mixing, which I don't like and that it was a "catholic club"

Hopefully my mate is right but I'd like to hear a northerners view.

I honestly dont know Niall!!
I would like to think so as Derry is quite a big place and Derry City are one of the better local teams.The way i see it is why not follow a team if you like them and they mean something to you?

I'd say some prods would,well those with more than 4 braincells that can see past the religious or political labels that narrow minded idiots place on teams!
To be honest i dont take much notice of our local football as its of a pretty low standard and the ball spends most of the time high in the air..its hard to watch!
66-1120597113

Postby Des » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:19 pm

Even harder in the snow with a white ball brother. :;):

Id say there wouldnt be too many protestants in the Derry City fanbase, not surprising really when you think of the bogside and creggan  :D but there would be a few who would brave it. Same with any team really.
They probably play the best football among all the irish teams.
IGNORANCE IS BLISS
Des

Postby Judge » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:47 am

bless you my children for you have sinned :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby CardinalRed » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:50 pm

Lando hit the nail on the head, they ARE thick as pig sh*t...... The small mindedness of these fans is absolutely ridiculous.... Blimey, religion don't half cause some bother.....!!!

:cool:
CardinalRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:20 pm

Well, it can't be a matter of religion really. If you truly believe the catholic doctrine, you couldn't kill in it's name as the Spanish did when we discovered America. Religion wasn't but the pretext to plunder and conquer. If you are to get a native treasure, saying it's the very will of God is very handy...

The very religion they claim to believe in, no matter protestant or catholic, tells them to love their enemy, not to hate the enemy. So it's not a religion problem, but politics problem. (IMHO).
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Des » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:10 pm

:D Love their enemy eh brother, that very word 'enemy' says it all about religon in my view. How about love their brothers and sisters?
IGNORANCE IS BLISS
Des

Postby kazza 1 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:24 pm

BarryBelfast wrote:

A mate of mine said that a lot of protestants in Derry follow Derry City, is this correct?

I had always thought it was another example of religion and football mixing, which I don't like and that it was a "catholic club"

I would like to think so as Derry is quite a big place and Derry City are one of the better local teams.The way i see it is why not follow a team if you like them and they mean something to you?

I'd say some prods would,well those with more than 4 braincells that can see past the religious or political labels that narrow minded idiots place on teams!
To be honest i dont take much notice of our local football as its of a pretty low standard and the ball spends most of the time high in the air..its hard to watch!

I dont want to get into the crossing yourself issue but I have just read this and wanted to say a few things.

I follow the Irish league here in Northern Ireland and have been to the Brandywell to see Derry City play. But Derry City do not play in the Irish League, they play in the Eircom League or the League of Ireland. They do not play teams in the North unless its the Sentanta Cup, where the top four in each league play each other or in friendlies. But Derry City (I would say) would have a small Prodestant fan base (as the most of people in the North West would support Coleraine) mainly because they do play in the Eircom League.(anyone can correct me if I'm wrong!!)
A lot of teams in Northern Ireland have small minded bigots who follow a team mainly because of its colours ie Linfield as they play in red, white and blue or Donegal Celtic, Green and white hoops like Celtic.(Glentoran played then on the 26th and there was know trouble, Thank God)  and they come to matches to cause trouble and not watch a single ball being kicked. I support Glentoran, which is an East Belfast team and mainly Protestent and have been to see them play Derry and Shelbroune (also an Irish team) and theres been no trouble at them. But have also been to see Linfield play and have had to listen the songs like the Billy Boys, King Billys on the wall etc and was there on the 23/4/05 when Linfield fans thought they would invade to pitch and would throw bottles and other missles into the stands of families watching a good game of football. Its people like these who keep the bad name going in football in Northern Ireland and it is full of people who dont care about the game, just what team they are playing on Saturday and who they will be fighting. Its sad really.
Gone but never forgotten
JUSTICE FOR BABY P REST IN PEACE BABY BOY X
kazza 1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:07 pm

ive lived all over the world, and tbh, i dont care who is who. people are people to me, regardless of race, creed, colour, or religion.

but i do hate nutters
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Des » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:40 pm

kazza 1 wrote:
BarryBelfast wrote:

I dont want to get into the crossing yourself issue but I have just read this and wanted to say a few things.

I follow the Irish league here in Northern Ireland and have been to the Brandywell to see Derry City play. But Derry City do not play in the Irish League, they play in the Eircom League or the League of Ireland. They do not play teams in the North unless its the Sentanta Cup, where the top four in each league play each other or in friendlies. But Derry City (I would say) would have a small Prodestant fan base (as the most of people in the North West would support Coleraine) mainly because they do play in the Eircom League.(anyone can correct me if I'm wrong!!)
A lot of teams in Northern Ireland have small minded bigots who follow a team mainly because of its colours ie Linfield as they play in red, white and blue or Donegal Celtic, Green and white hoops like Celtic.(Glentoran played then on the 26th and there was know trouble, Thank God)  and they come to matches to cause trouble and not watch a single ball being kicked. I support Glentoran, which is an East Belfast team and mainly Protestent and have been to see them play Derry and Shelbroune (also an Irish team) and theres been no trouble at them. But have also been to see Linfield play and have had to listen the songs like the Billy Boys, King Billys on the wall etc and was there on the 23/4/05 when Linfield fans thought they would invade to pitch and would throw bottles and other missles into the stands of families watching a good game of football. Its people like these who keep the bad name going in football in Northern Ireland and it is full of people who dont care about the game, just what team they are playing on Saturday and who they will be fighting. Its sad really.

You almost make Glentoran sound like angels there sister.When really they have a far worse rioting fanbase than any team in the north. :D  Linfield and Donegal Celtic have a right few vandals too . Linfield fans will kick you if youre a catholic,DCeltic if youre a prod, Glentoran dont care what you are. [joke]
Anyway getting back to the point about the standard of these teams, I believe its got a helluva lot worse and showing no signs of getting better, a bit like the scottish league. The minute a decent young player appears -bang hes vanished across the water.Good for the club and player but tragic for the fans.
IGNORANCE IS BLISS
Des

Postby Sabre » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:43 pm

Des brother, The point of loving the enemy, is that it is very difficult, and would be the first step towards what you propose, becoming a brother or sister.

BTW, I love your avatar, what/ who  is it?
Last edited by Sabre on Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:09 am

Judge wrote:ive lived all over the world, and tbh, i dont care who is who. people are people to me, regardless of race, creed, colour, or religion.

but i do hate nutters

Judge - you are a bigot :angry:

a bigot against nutters  :D
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:33 am

These idiots are using it as an excuse for inciting their own sectarian hatred. They aren't religious, they're thugs who need any excuse to open old political wounds
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:25 pm

Big Niall wrote:
Judge wrote:ive lived all over the world, and tbh, i dont care who is who. people are people to me, regardless of race, creed, colour, or religion.

but i do hate nutters

Judge - you are a bigot :angry:

a bigot against nutters  :D

oh yes and niall  :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza 1 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:52 pm

Des wrote:
kazza 1 wrote:
BarryBelfast wrote:

You almost make Glentoran sound like angels there sister.When really they have a far worse rioting fanbase than any team in the north. :D  Linfield and Donegal Celtic have a right few vandals too . Linfield fans will kick you if youre a catholic,DCeltic if youre a prod, Glentoran dont care what you are. [joke]
Anyway getting back to the point about the standard of these teams, I believe its got a helluva lot worse and showing no signs of getting better, a bit like the scottish league. The minute a decent young player appears -bang hes vanished across the water.Good for the club and player but tragic for the fans.

Des I know  your from Northern Ireland and I know you don't like Irish League football..................
I am not trying to make out that Glentoran are angels by any mean's. We do have out fair share of supporters that are there to make trouble. But we dont need the security that Linfield need at certain matches in certain area's. I have been to many times to watch Glentoran and have never felt uneasy at any games except Linfield games.
We dont have a fanbase thats any worse then any other football in any league. Every team in the world has fans that are there to make trouble. Can you honestly say that Linfield fans are the best fans in NI? ???

And please dont call me sister.....................
Gone but never forgotten
JUSTICE FOR BABY P REST IN PEACE BABY BOY X
kazza 1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:34 pm

Gentlemen...As an Irishman (Rep. of), I can't say I have direct personal experience of the religious divide that has cut both NI and certain Scottish cities in two....BUT, as an observer, were it not so silly, mindless and bigoted, it would make me laugh....Let's take Boruc blessing himself....Are we to believe that every Rangers fan watching the Italy team warm up before the start of a game at the '06 WC, or for each sub. that came on, that they were jumping up and down in their seats ? Ditto for any player of any country who blesses himself because it is something of personal importance to them...That's not to say that Celtic fans are pure either....There's bigotry on both sides of the divide, but football is bigger than that. I welcome any initiative to drive out violence, hatred, sectarianism or any form of discrimination on the terraces. Back to Gascoigne and his "flute"...Well, Gascoigne IS a flute....And I doubt he would have any idea how his actions would be interpreted 'cos he's too bloody stupid to begin with.....
Just my tuppence worth...
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

PreviousNext

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion