Please google

"could he do it on a cold night in stoke"
The Raven

Postby The Raven » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:54 pm

The Raven

Postby Dalglish » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:13 am

RichardLFC1 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:23 pm wrote:RVP is better than messi

STOP SPEAKING ON AN EMPTY HEAD ....................... :D

Back on subject................The Best I have seen personally would be Maradona. He dragged ordinary sides (Napoli and Argentina) up to greatness and won the WC almost single handed in 86.

They say teams win games and all players are equal.................Maradona disproved that comfortable quote !

Messi has the potential to be the greatest ever player but has to achieve on an International level.

Pele was extrodinary and over decades he perfromed at the very highest level.

Others from the past who I wasn't fortunate enough to see like Best, Di Stefano, Puskas and Cruyff are up there surely

Walk On ..............
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:44 pm

Messi is certainly the best player of his generation and I personally believe he will be one of the very greatest the game has ever seen.

It's a fair point that it is hard to compare players of different generations as the game does change a lot over time. However when you see how some players try to stop him (unfairly) he has a smashing ability to keep going. There have been games where players have resorted to literally taking his legs from beneath him to stop him. Even then it's rare for him not to bounce straight back up and take the free kick.

GREATEST PLAYER ever is one of those debates that fans will argue as long as time but Messi is the one player that I've had the pleasure of seeing play on tv and in the flesh that always excites me (NOT IN A SEXUAL WAY!) :D and in this age of primadonna footballers stands out from the crowd as having one love
PLAYING FOOTBALL.

LEGEND
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Raven » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:50 pm

No one voted boogers yet?

Came on got sent off went mad and moved into a caravan.
The Raven

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:44 pm

RUSHIE#9 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:44 pm wrote:Messi is certainly the best player of his generation and I personally believe he will be one of the very greatest the game has ever seen.

It's a fair point that it is hard to compare players of different generations as the game does change a lot over time. However when you see how some players try to stop him (unfairly) he has a smashing ability to keep going. There have been games where players have resorted to literally taking his legs from beneath him to stop him. Even then it's rare for him not to bounce straight back up and take the free kick.

GREATEST PLAYER ever is one of those debates that fans will argue as long as time but Messi is the one player that I've had the pleasure of seeing play on tv and in the flesh that always excites me (NOT IN A SEXUAL WAY!) :D and in this age of primadonna footballers stands out from the crowd as having one love
PLAYING FOOTBALL.

LEGEND

i`ve actually seen players not tackle him though, if he`s on a mazy run i`ve seen players stand still and throw their arms in the air so they dont get booked if he loses his balance. years ago when the likes of george best and maradona played once they went past the first man the second defender wasnt interested in the ball at all.
and you say he gets fouled a lot and gets back up but they are just normal fouls, crunching tackles have all but dissappeared from the game.
have a look at some of the tackles steve mcmahon puts in on this clip - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7taZHqz4yU4&list=PL96F4FC0B11039E00&index=5 the thing to notice is that there wasnt one yellow card shown, these days there`d be 5 or 6 reds shown in that clip. they would be the types of tackles messi would have to deal with and get back up from if he played back then, and it was worse in the 60`s and 70`s.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby mtee9518 » Thu May 14, 2015 10:18 am

86 goals this year, totally amazing achievement. In so mething like 66 games, that is unreal. I always said Maradonna was the best I'd watched but I think history will have Messi as the best player ever to have played the game. He's only 25 and already he's Barcas top goal-scorer. I wonder how many goals our whole team scored this calendar year?
mtee9518
LFC newBie

Postby Big Niall » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:55 am

mtee9518 » Thu May 14, 2015 9:18 am wrote:86 goals this year, totally amazing achievement. In so mething like 66 games, that is unreal. I always said Maradonna was the best I'd watched but I think history will have Messi as the best player ever to have played the game. He's only 25 and already he's Barcas top goal-scorer. I wonder how many goals our whole team scored this calendar year?

I don't believe that statistics determine the greatest in football ( it's a yank thing from yank sports ).

Anyway , it's a disgrace that the greats of the early 20th century are ignored , ( I think jack Johnson who won heavyweight title in 1905 is the greatest heavyweight champion ). Football has shamefully ignored its history.

The greatest post Ww2 player is either Messi or Maradonna. See no argument for pele , cryuff , best , Zidane,
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:57 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:44 pm wrote:
RUSHIE#9 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:44 pm wrote:Messi is certainly the best player of his generation and I personally believe he will be one of the very greatest the game has ever seen.

PLAYING FOOTBALL.

LEGEND

i`ve actually seen players not tackle him though, if he`s on a mazy run i`ve seen players stand still and throw their arms in the air so they dont get booked if he loses his balance. years ago when the likes of george best and maradona played once they went past the first man the second defender wasnt interested in the ball at all.
and you say he gets fouled a lot and gets back up but they are just normal fouls, crunching tackles have all but dissappeared from the game.
have a look at some of the tackles steve mcmahon puts in on this clip - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7taZHqz4yU4&list=PL96F4FC0B11039E00&index=5 the thing to notice is that there wasnt one yellow card shown, these days there`d be 5 or 6 reds shown in that clip. they would be the types of tackles messi would have to deal with and get back up from if he played back then, and it was worse in the 60`s and 70`s.

Yeah, Lionel Messi couldn't cope with Steve McMahon ! Like Maradonna couldn't cope with Peter Reid !

Ridiculous idea !
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mart » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:23 am

mtee9518 » Thu May 14, 2015 9:18 am wrote:86 goals this year, totally amazing achievement. In so mething like 66 games, that is unreal. I always said Maradonna was the best I'd watched but I think history will have Messi as the best player ever to have played the game. He's only 25 and already he's Barcas top goal-scorer. I wonder how many goals our whole team scored this calendar year?

Messi is easily the best player of his generation, and he will be considered as one of the greatest players ever. But so far he isnt at the level of Maradona.
His stats are clearly inflated by as the fact that he has played all his career on one of the greatest teams ever assembled.
Maradona played the majority of his career in mediocre teams, and won games almost singlehandedly in a time where defenders could be a lot more brutal than they can today.
mart
LFC Super Member

Postby maguskwt » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:42 pm

Messi's legacy will have an asterix to it until he wins a world cup with Argentina... He is truly a great player though... His CL goals against bayern was one for the ages...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion