80%

Total votes : 20

Postby Kenny Kan » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:13 am

Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:57 pm

No disrespect to Scholes but I completely agree with Carra. All three are good players but Gerrard and Lampard are slightly ahead of Scholes. Neville made some good points but I believe Scholes didn't have the kind of influence on Man Utd as Gerrard does with us and Lampard with Chelsea.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Greavesie » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:03 pm

I can see a strong debate between Gerrard and Scholes but Gerrard edges it for me. Lampard 3rd
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby LFC2007 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:38 pm

For all his goals, I don't think Lampard is in the same class as the other two. A midfielder's main task is to establish good possession, not only to deprive the opponent of the ball but to establish the platform on which to build the attack. You do that most effectively by having the ability and footballing intelligence to take up the right positions, pick the right passes, and by having a number of other complementary attributes to your play. Without that it's hard to find any rhythm. That's why Alonso was and still is so missed.

Lampard never had that ability to anything like the same extent. His strength has always been in linking the play in the final third, timing his runs into the box and scoring goals, and to be fair he's been very effective at that. Scholes had the vision, the understanding, the ability to dictate the tempo of the game like Alonso only he could do it in more advanced positions and had a goal in him. Ok, he couldn't tackle for toffee but that wasn't his job. His job was to maintain good possession and to orchestrate attacks.

Gerrard's influence stems from being a strong all rounder, by having the ability to influence the game not just in his own half but right across the pitch. What he lacks in terms of the more subtler attributes he makes up for by having a combination of strengths that you rarely find in one player, from his passing to his crossing, to his tackling and physical strength.
LFC2007

Postby Benny The Noon » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:48 pm

Scholes and Gerrard are very close with as Carra has said - Gerrards big game performances just edge it . Lampard is nowhere near them two. - I wouldn't have him in the top 3
Benny The Noon

Postby damjan193 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:47 am

Benny The Noon » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:48 pm wrote:Scholes and Gerrard are very close with as Carra has said - Gerrards big game performances just edge it . Lampard is nowhere near them two. - I wouldn't have him in the top 3

Thought Carra said that he puts Lampard and Gerrard slightly ahead of Scholes?
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:48 am

Either way, the reason why I personally put Gerrard and Lampard ahead of Scholes isn't based on stats. I agree that Gerrard and Lampard have slightly better stats because usually their task is higher up the pitch while Scholes often played a bit deeper, but you can't say that Gerrard or Lampard aren't good at establishing possession or picking the right pass. Actually Lampard is great in this, it's just that he does it a bit higher. He also has the instinct of a striker and that's why he scores so many goals.

One of the main things for me though is that Scholes did what he did best with Man Utd. I always felt that his opposition gave him too much time and space to do his thing. Also, Man Utd. was a team that had the same players and same approach every year. In other words, it was a very gelled team, which is very important if you're a midfielder. Lampard often played with strangers every new season and with a lot of different managers, but he was always able to be the same player. If Scholes was with another team, I don't think that he would have been praised as much as he is because he wouldn't have done so well.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby JC_81 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:20 pm

You're hardly going to get an impartial opinion posting this on a LFC forum and for me Gerrard's the best of the three.

There's an argument to be made for Scholes on the basis of his decision making, ability to dictate play and arguably he made the most impact of the three at International level.  I just don't ever think he was the best player at United in any of the teams he played in and the fact he played in great sides consistently over the years made it easier for him to look good, more so than Gerrard definitely and Lampard to some extent. 

There's also an argument for Lampard based on his goalscoring ability from midfield, but he's never dominated a game in his life and is the poorest of the three at International level.  I'd have him third of the three overall.

Gerrard had it all in his prime - goalscoring, passing ability, tackling, decision making, pace, strength, leadership, attitude, big game impact.  Greatest ever LFC player for me.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:41 pm

damjan193 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:57 pm wrote:No disrespect to Scholes but I completely agree with Carra. All three are good players but Gerrard and Lampard are slightly ahead of Scholes. Neville made some good points but I believe Scholes didn't have the kind of influence on Man Utd as Gerrard does with us and Lampard with Chelsea.

Behave yourself! :no
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Stu the Red » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:43 pm

damjan193 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:48 am wrote:Either way, the reason why I personally put Gerrard and Lampard ahead of Scholes isn't based on stats. I agree that Gerrard and Lampard have slightly better stats because usually their task is higher up the pitch while Scholes often played a bit deeper, but you can't say that Gerrard or Lampard aren't good at establishing possession or picking the right pass. Actually Lampard is great in this, it's just that he does it a bit higher. He also has the instinct of a striker and that's why he scores so many goals.

One of the main things for me though is that Scholes did what he did best with Man Utd. I always felt that his opposition gave him too much time and space to do his thing. Also, Man Utd. was a team that had the same players and same approach every year. In other words, it was a very gelled team, which is very important if you're a midfielder. Lampard often played with strangers every new season and with a lot of different managers, but he was always able to be the same player. If Scholes was with another team, I don't think that he would have been praised as much as he is because he wouldn't have done so well.

Never played the game at any level.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Stu the Red » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:48 pm

JC_81 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:20 pm wrote:You're hardly going to get an impartial opinion posting this on a LFC forum and for me Gerrard's the best of the three.

There's an argument to be made for Scholes on the basis of his decision making, ability to dictate play and arguably he made the most impact of the three at International level.  I just don't ever think he was the best player at United in any of the teams he played in and the fact he played in great sides consistently over the years made it easier for him to look good, more so than Gerrard definitely and Lampard to some extent. 

There's also an argument for Lampard based on his goalscoring ability from midfield, but he's never dominated a game in his life and is the poorest of the three at International level.  I'd have him third of the three overall.

Gerrard had it all in his prime - goalscoring, passing ability, tackling, decision making, pace, strength, leadership, attitude, big game impact.  Greatest ever LFC player for me.

According to every player thats ever played with Scholes, he's the best player they've ever played with.

Even van Persie said it last year when Scholes was 84 and needed a walking stick.

The lads one of the best players I've ever seen. Played in a two man midfield, not a three, goalscoring record was exceptional and had everything bar pace. People who say he couldn't tackle don't know what they're talking about, he was an excellent tackler, but a very cynical and clever player who knew when to take a booking. He was occasionally rash, but to say he "coudn't tackle" is compete bollox.

Anyone that puts Lampard in the same sentance, for me hasn't got a f*cking clue. Gerrard, its debatable, for me, Scholes edges it.

The main reason United were as successful as they were during his career.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:28 pm

StuYesThatStu » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:41 pm wrote:
damjan193 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:57 pm wrote:No disrespect to Scholes but I completely agree with Carra. All three are good players but Gerrard and Lampard are slightly ahead of Scholes. Neville made some good points but I believe Scholes didn't have the kind of influence on Man Utd as Gerrard does with us and Lampard with Chelsea.

Look man if you're going to replay to my posts at least make a decent argument. Or are you incapable of doing that? What am I saying, of course you are.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:02 am

damjan193 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:28 pm wrote:

Look man if you're going to replay to my posts at least make a decent argument. Or are you incapable of doing that? What am I saying, of course you are.

How can you make a decent point to someone who doesn't understand what they are looking at?

Lampard better than Scholes?

:laugh: What a statement that is.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Stu the Red » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:03 am

damjan193 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:28 pm wrote:

How can you make a decent point to someone who doesn't understand what they are looking at?

Lampard better than Scholes?

:laugh: What a statement that is.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Kharhaz » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:51 am

You can compare Lampard with Scholes, but to compare Gerrard with these? No, simply, no.

Gerrard can play any position, and has, without complaint. When England had no left sided player, Gerrard filled the role. Whenever Lampard plays/played for England Gerrard had to adjust to a defensive position.

To compare any and I mean ANY English midfielder to Gerrard is impossible. Gerrard is so good he could play anywhere, he wouldn't complain, he wouldn't make excuses he would get on with the job in hand.

Gerrard is the utter complete midfielder. Scholes isn't, Lampard isn't, Carrick isn't, Parker never was, not even Gascoigne.

Gerrard simply IS.

Case Closed.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Football Related Polls